chapter seven!

𝖉𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖗𝖊, 𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

(  𝖚𝖓𝖑𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖍𝖊𝖉  )

The sharp tip of a needle caught the glare of the overhead light. With a steady hand, Deaton lowered a syringe to a small terrier that was held still on the table by Scott. The dog's owner watched with noticeable anxiety.

"It's not going to hurt him, is it?" He asked.

Deaton shook his head, "Just a little. But, to be honest, I usually find it's the owners..."

Deaton quickly jabbed the needle in. The dog barely blinked while the young man drew in a terrified breath, "...who feel the most pain." The man let out an embarrassed laugh. Scott picked the dog up off the table, helping him back to the floor.

"All right, we'll let you know if we find any parasites in the sample. But my guess is he probably just ate something he shouldn't have." Deaton confirmed.

Gently petting the dog as Kyle leashed him, Scott noticed the name tag; Bullet. He smiled. "Cool name."

Kyle, the owner, looked bashful. "He's got two brothers at home named Beretta and Trigger. Military family," he explained as Bullet rolled to his back for Scott, exposing his stomach in a submissive pose. Kyle gave a chuckle, "Guess he knows who the Alpha is."

Scott gave a nervous laugh, avoiding eye contact. He didn't see Deaton also react to Kyle's coincidental choice of words, but with a look more thoughtful than amused. A look of concern. Realising he's still holding the syringe, Deaton turned and dropped it into a bin marked Hazardous .

* * *

Scott pulled the lid off a container marked Bullet and prepares the sample to dilute it. But then he paused. "Hey Doc, I think I found something."

Deaton stepped in to look over his shoulder. "Rinse it off." As Scott worked, Deaton grabbed a tweezer. He used it to pick up a small, white berry from the sample.

Scott looked at him, confused, "What is it?"

Deaton sighed, "Definitely poisonous. For the dog, and actually, you as well."

Scott gave a guess, although it looked noting like what he'd seen. "Wolfsbane?"

Deaton shook his head glumly, "No. Mistletoe."