chapter twenty three!

𝖉𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖗𝖊, 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

(  𝖑𝖚𝖓𝖆𝖗 𝖊𝖈𝖑𝖎𝖕𝖘𝖊  )

The claws on Kali's feet slashed through the air in one roundhouse kick after another. But none seem to land on an impossibly fast Jennifer. Ethan and Aiden race to each other to connect, but Jennifer pulled them apart. Enduring a whirlwind of blows from each twin, she managed to keep them from conjoining, sending one and then another smashing into the walls.

Dan cracked his neck and threw his arms out with a ferocious look in his face as Jennifer went flying. While she was distracted for a second, he hurried over to Lydia and Elle, pulling them closer to the door. The two girls ducked under the debris and flying bodies, trying to keep out of the fray.

Kali tumbled past. Furious, she snapped her head up to face a frighteningly calm Jennifer.

"That's right, Kali. Look at me. Look at my face. Do you know what it takes to be able to look like this? To be able to look normal."

Kali spoke defiantly, "I don't care."

"It takes power like this... " Wind hurtled down through the broken skylight, filling the inside of the loft. Retreating back, Kali noticed the glass on the floor beginning to tremble. With a mere turn of her eyes, Jennifer sent the shards flying into the air.

Elle threw up her hands instinctively to protect her and Lydia, eyes squeezed shut as she concentrated on keeping the pair safe. A clear barrier entered around the two and she dropped it as soon as she heard the shards fall to the floor.

Blood slipping across the cement, Kali slumped forward and her red eyes slowly faded to black.

In a shard of glass next to her, the Twin Alpha appeared reflected. Jennifer whirled around as it charges toward her. Swiping its claws, the lumbering creature grappled with her.

Dan hurried over to her sister and grabbed both wrists. In a hushed whisper, "I don't care what's happening between us right now, but you need to trust me right now if we are going to survive this."

Elle nodded, scared as she carried on pushing Lydia behind her. Dan nodded back. "Hold my hands, we need to get enough power behind us to put her down if only temporarily."

Elle did as he said, closing her eyes as she felt a whole lot of power rushing down her arms to her hands which were joined to her brother's. She opened them again to see their hands literally glowing.