chapter twenty two!

𝖉𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖗𝖊, 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝖙𝖜𝖔

*    *    *

*    *    *

(  𝖑𝖚𝖓𝖆𝖗 𝖊𝖈𝖑𝖎𝖕𝖘𝖊  )

The three surrogate sacrifices lay perfectly still in the water of the steel tubs. Scott, Stiles and Allison--their faces breached the surface of the water just enough to breathe while their bodies remain submerged.

All at once, their eyes snapped open and they lurched up, surging back to consciousness. Water splashed across the floor as they each grasp for the edges of the steel tub.

"I saw it--I know where it is." Scott coughed.

One-by-one they scrambled out of the tubs, soaking wet. "We passed it--there's a stump--this huge tree--not huge now--it was cut down--but big. Very big." Stiles shivered.

"It was the night we were looking for the body--" Scott began.

"The night you were bit by Peter." Stiles cut in.

"I was there too. In the car with my mother. We almost hit someone." Allison commented.

"It was me--you almost hit me." They looked to the others, elated by their discovery. "We can find it."

They faced confusingly muted reactions. Deaton, Isabelle, Isaac and Lydia shared looks far less hopeful. "What?" Allison asked them.

"You guys were out a long time." Isaac said carefully.

Scott looked to the windows to see that it's still night. But Stiles was the first to make the realization. "How long is a long time?"

"Sixteen hours." Deaton revealed.

"We were in the water for sixteen hours?!"

"And the full moon rises in less than four." Elle told them all.

*    *    *

Towel pulled tight around his shoulders, Stiles shook his head at Scott. "No, dude. You're not going back to them."

"I made a deal with Deucalion."

"Anybody else think that sounded a lot like 'deal with the Devil'? I don't know about you guys, but I've heard that situation doesn't usually come with a happy ending."