The Ball

The second that the person opening the door got a good look at me, the door was thrown open at an almost frightening speed. I inwardly winced, doors were not cheap to fix. This was a flamboyant waste of money. 

"Lilly dear who do you have with you? Oh Mr Rikkard Ambrose, a pleasure to meet you. Please do come in."

I of course said nothing and stoically followed the ifrit's maternal relative inside the sparsely(and sensibly) decorated residence. Her house was furnished in such an efficient way; how on earth had Lilly become so free with her money and happy in her spendthrift ways?

"There is a ball today Mr Ambrose...you will escort one of my very eligible daughters to the ball correct-" She shot a pointed look at Lillian and continued "-some of my lovely nieces such as Lillian have apparently forgotten that they were to be here and dressed nearly two hours ago. But nevertheless, it is simply fantastic to have you in our humble residence. Please arrive in exactly 45 minutes to pick us up. Thank you and Good Bye."

With that, the detestable and crafty woman shoved me out the door. I had not even gotten a chance to protest the fact that I was being forced to go to a time wasting ball of all things.  Ludicrous. 

***************

45 Minutes Later; Brank Residence

I stood impatiently waiting. It was almost the allotted time I was supposed to arrive to pick the family up. The sooner I get this over with, the sooner I can return to my work. 

I heard someone clear their throat rather loudly and say in a pompous manner "I now present my eldest niece, Lillian Linton."

I saw a pair of white heels slowly step down the staircase followed by layers of blue tulle. Then Lillian entirely stepped into view, and I truly felt Time stop for approximately 3 minutes and 42 seconds. I stared at her and she looked back at me with an expression daring me to laugh. How could I possibly laugh when the only feeling I had left in my blank mind was awe. The fiesty, brown haired, trouser wearing woman I had tried to compartmentalize into being a man had transformed into a adequately attractive...lady?

PS here's her dress

She stepped closer to me after a terse silence and I stood there effectively slack jawed like some simpleton

She stepped closer to me after a terse silence and I stood there effectively slack jawed like some simpleton. The periwinkle blue dress hugged every curve and made her already adequate...chest area... even more shapely and alluring. The color of the(surely expensive) gown set of her lightly tanned skin in a seductive manner and my eyes were gradually led to the center piece; her painted pink lips. 

There was nothing I wanted more at the moment than to sweep down and press a series of ki- ahem take her arm like the gentleman I am and lead her to the timewasting social excursion. 

"Well? Let's go! We have a ball to attend and I am sure Lady Metcalf wouldn't like to be kept waiting!"

The somehow toadlike lady led us all to the diminutive carriage I had ordered for the evening. I was already wasting time(and therefore money, knowledge, and power) by attending this social event and definitely was not planning on spending even more money to look affluent in the eyes  of British society. 

At this rate I might even lose enough money to lose my title as Richest Man in the Western Hemisphere. Bah the thought itself makes me colder inside. 

After a tense carriage ride during which Lillian was pressed...uncomfortably close to myself and certain male parts of mine, we finally arrived at the Ball. 

The rigid old lady who stood at the entrance welcoming all the arriving guests shot my sensible carriage a disapproving look but brightened up as soon as my(rather attractive) visage came into her vision. 

"Mr Ambrose, what an immense pleasure to have you with us here today. Which of these fine young ladies are you accompanying to my Ball?"

As coldly as possible I said "None. I only came with them to save transportation money to your social exercise."

Oh Rikkard we both know who you're actually here for. Why not say her name?

I gritted my teeth and then stormed away to one of the corners of the Ball room so that I could observe the events occurring and atleast get some value out of this wasted time. 

Is that all you were observing? I am fairly sure one of your eyes is trained fully on Lillian and her obnoxiously irritating crowd of suitors...

Of course not. I am completely focused on my business and collection informat- DID THAT MAN JUST KISS LILLIAN'S HAND? 

I should end him just for that. I made a mental note to find out his name and occupation so that the proficient Ambrosial Waste Disposal Squad could be activated. In fact, all of these leeches vying for her attention woke have to be disposed of soon. 

In my fury, I did not even realize my feet were propelling me in her direction until I stood right behind her, glaring at the impudent young male that dared approach her in front of me. I tapped her on the shoulder and she whirled around in shock and then narrowed her eyes when she realized it was me. 

"Care to dance Miss Linton?"

"No. Leave. Goodbye"

What? This woman was actually turning me down? Me? The irresistibly attractive Rikkard Ambrose? Blasphemy!

I stepped even closer to her and growled in her ear "I said, care to dance Miss Linton?" 

Her breath hitched in her throat and she stiffened in front of me. Then she slowly turned around and giving me a fierce glare gritted out "I said no. Now leave me alone, you son of a bachelor"

Lillian Linton must be mad! How and why would someone turn my very eligible and attractive self down for some boy with no wealth, honor, or power to speak of?

Before I could speak further, the grand doors blasted open. 

And in walked my worst enemy. 

Author's Note: Hello and thank you so much for reading. We're almost at 1K reads. That's awesome! And it's all thanks to readers like you. Thank you(lol I sound like the PBS ad- is that just me?😂)

What do you think of Lilly's dress? Pretty isn't it?

Who do you think walked in? Captain Carter? Or Lord Dalgleish?

Why is Lilly turning down our adorably conceited protagonist's generous offers to dance?

Whoo tomorrow is update day. I'm literally so excited!