Chapter 2

Aydan

The crowd is wild tonight, hordes of kids desperate for a little action. The perfect hunting grounds. Maybe that's why I stick with the band—the free food.

My senses pick up the distinct scent of vanilla and warm sugar. My favorite. I feel the craving start at the back of my throat. I have to find the source of that scent and drink from her soul.

Soon.

The lights drop as I sing a slow melody. The rhythms are smooth, seductive. I watch the girls drop their defenses and feel their desire rise.

Scanning the crowd, I search. My need grows as the seconds pass. Every girl strains to look at me and through their eyes I see their need, taste their lust. It floods my senses, nourishing me.

But the feeling is temporary, just enough to awaken the Beast within and force me to continue the hunt.

My eyes settle on a girl near the back of the crowd, sandwiched between the stage and a narrow hallway. She's different from the usual patrons of the club. Beautiful—long blond hair, legs that seem to stretch forever, and curves that make me ache. But it isn't her beauty calling to me, or her distinctive vanilla scent.

It's the mystery.

Her desire fills me. Not only desire, something more. Something angry and dangerous. Something that awakens the core of my being.

I stare into her eyes and ride her emotions as they crest. I sing my lyrics only to her. Our worlds collide; nothing exists but the two of us.

She closes her eyes, obviously trying to break the spell I've cast. But I know it won't work. No one can get away from me. I've had centuries of practice.

I continue to sing, weaving a trap around my target. She stares at me, an almost pained expression etched into her features.

You're mine now.

A flood of emotions fills me, chaotic and wild, desperate. Her feelings, her passion. The taste is addictive and I know I can't resist her. I don't want to.

The song ends as my frenzy grows.

It's time.