Chapter 44

Aydan

Aydan

The nHoly descend on me and I charge, striking at everything in my path. My mind is sharp, determined. My own. The marks on my neck flare to life and scorch my soul. I drink my anguish, allowing it to sharpen my senses.

Nesy screams in the distance, locked in battle with my master. Their swords clash, each stroke filling me with dread. He will not let this pass. He will kill her.

Unless I kill him first.

A loud scream fills the courtyard, burning into the Beast. Pain rips through the marks seared on my neck and for a moment I can't breathe, consumed with the same agony I felt earlier this night. Nesy has pinned my master. He is immobile.

For now.

Good.

I expect to feel relief. Hope. Satisfaction. Anything but the fear suffocating me as the UnHoly horde pulls back. A large gateway opens in front of me, lined with Sentinals. Fifty. Maybe more. My death has arrived.

Finally.

The Sentinals pour in around me, swords drawn. I back away, blocking the initial attack. Blades roll off my shoulders, slicing the air around me. There are too many. I can't fend them off. I don't want to.

They rip open every wound, every scar, slicing new gashes over my body. The marks on my neck burn with crimson heat. I taste death in the air. My death. It floods my senses and nourishes my soul. It strengthens me.

The Sentinals continue their attack. Their blades lodge deeply into my flesh. Black liquid oozes from every wound, scorching the ground as it pours from me. I counter and block the attacks out of instinct.

I need to hold on. Make certain Nesy is safe. My hunger flares to life, the scent of my own blood, my death, urging the Beast inside.

Fight back

—I will not kill.

Feed from them

—I will not nourish you.

A feral scream rips through me as I push the Beast aside. For now.

I parry the relentless volley of blows, refusing to counter. I will not submit to Azza. I will not be the Beast. The brands eclipse every thought, searing my hope.

Feed on them

—no.

Fulfill your destiny

—never.

Obey.

The Beast growls as my body lunges forward. I counter the raging attack of the Sentinals.

Yes.

Thrust into the angels before me.

Good.

No.

Nesy, think of Nesy.

Blades whirl around me. For a moment time stops and my mind clears, illuminating what I must do—the only choice left to make. Inhaling a deep breath, I open my arms, allowing my sword to drop to the ground. The Sentinals thrust forward, piercing my shoulders, my arms, my chest. I sink to my knees, embracing my death.

My one chance.

The earth begins to shake.

"Stop!" Mikayel steps from a vortex opening next to me. His voice booms over the battle, stopping the attack.

Yes yes yes.

Shadows mix with the fog cowering along the ground. It grows, darkening everything in its path. The UnHoly run toward the smoke and darkness.

"Go after the UnHoly. Don't let them escape." Mikayel's order rings throughout the ranks. They swarm the shadows. Screams bounce off the mist and gloom.

I look up at Mikayel. End this, please. End me. "You need to kill me. It's the only way."

"I know," he says.

"Thank you."

Mikayel raises the Sword of Truth and mouths a silent prayer.