Chapter 6

Aydan

She's here, in front of me. Just my luck. I obsessed about her all night, working out a plan to find her and take her soul. After the disappointment in my kill last night, I knew nothing would satisfy me until I had her.

Only her.

She stares at the strange girl hiding in the back of class, one I don't remember seeing before today. She is a plain girl with out-of-date clothes, notable only for her flaming auburn hair and green eyes, features that are eerily familiar.

I feel like I should know her, like I need to know her.

My master watches Flame with an intense interest that seems odd for such an ordinary girl. What does he see that I don't?

I look back toward Nesy. A pained expression blankets her face, an expression that makes me want to do something I've never done.

Protect her.

The feeling is strange. Distasteful. And a problem.

My master would never understand the need to protect a human. Honestly, neither do I.

The teacher assigns a meaningless task and sits. Flame doesn't hesitate; she walks over and stands next to Nesy. My body tightens. Adrenaline courses through my veins, preparing me to strike. But why? Flame is no threat. No human is.

Flame pulls out a chair and sits. She warns Nesy about me, tells her to avoid me at all costs. My master watches them. And me. Hold back, he warns. Wait. I don't understand his sudden concern. I can handle two human girls.

The girls continue to whisper, their voices drawing everyone's attention, including the teacher.

"Anything you want to share with the class, Miss Eisner?" His words are laced with frustration.

"No sir," Flame chokes. "Just making sure the new girl has everything she needs for your class."

I stifle a laugh. That's my job.

Flame glares at me. Nesy does as well. Did they hear me? Feel my thoughts?

Interesting, my master and I think simultaneously.

Very interesting.

I need to get closer to Nesy and see what she knows. I stand, my chair scraping against the hard floor. I feel her body stiffen as I come up behind her. She trembles and my need for her grows to a feverish pitch.

Be careful, my master cautions.

I shake off his warnings and press into her thoughts. Look at me. I repeat the phrase until Nesy turns. Look at me. Our eyes lock and the room spins away, fading to something else. Someplace else.