Chapter 26

Nesy

Nesy

Aydan's words continue, filling the empty spaces in my heart, my mind, my soul. Instinct replaces torment as centuries of training take over. I whip out my sword, swinging it in a large arc over my head. The blow lands on the human-looking demon, severing its clawed hand.

"No more!" I scream as the mob scatters, confused by my sudden strength.

Hacking and slashing the space around me, I clear a large circle. "Divina virtute in infernum detrude daemones," I yell, condemning the dark creatures to oblivion.

With each word, the ground beneath me rattles. A massive hole opens, claiming the demons. Those that escape my sword retreat to the safety of darkness. Until, finally, I am alone.

I focus my thoughts and look around. For the first time since leaving the hospital, I'm aware of my surroundings. A large cathedral stands before me, built from massive stone bricks. Several gothic spires cut into the fog that descends in the early morning hours. The facade of the church is adorned with stone carvings. Images of the angels—Mediators, Anointed, Guardians and Sentinals.

My brethren.

I've come home, more or less.

For a second time, I'm compelled to walk, clueless about my destination. I cross the left side of the cathedral until I come to a courtyard sitting between the cross sections of the building. I open the small iron fence protecting the cloister, straining to see in the navy darkness. A large bronze sculpture adorns the center of the garden, an image of Mikayel as he triumphs over the Dark One.

Over Azzaziel.

I stare at the statue, so perfect in its details—the Sword of Truth grasped firmly in Mikayel's hands, the strong muscles of his shoulders as he battles, and the broad expanse of his wings. Carved images of the planets, scientists and animals wrap themselves around the base of the angel. A perfect union of Celestium and humanity.

And a reminder.

My oath to the Council pounds through my thoughts. My obligation to protect. My role in the forever battle against evil. My duty to resist temptation. Resist the Dark One.

And my job to vanquish Aydan.

A pang of deep longing ripples through me. I'm torn between my promise to send Aydan to the Abyss and my need to keep him safe. The opposing forces fragment what remains of my mind, breaking me down once again.

I close my eyes and center my thoughts. Let go of him. Let go of that life. I picture my life as a Sentinal—the training, the commitment to live a life detached, the oath to serve. It's everything I am. Everything I've wanted.

Until now.

Now there's Aydan.

Black, spiked hair. Smooth, pale skin. His image floods my thoughts, looking exactly the way he did that first night. Same black jeans, same leather jacket.

I draw a ragged breath and let the fantasy unfold. The musky pine scent of his skin. The feel of him next to me. The sound of his voice as it resonates through me.

In the recesses of my thoughts, Aydan wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me close. His other arm drapes across my chest and in my dream, I am forever safe.

His heart beats too fast against my back, mirroring my own. His hot breath caresses my neck, igniting waves of desire I shouldn't have. I give myself to the dream, melting into him as he presses his lips against my neck.

My body trembles. "Stop it, Nesy," I whisper to myself. "This isn't real."

But I want it to be, more than anything.

"You're a warrior," I say. "Purge your emotions. All of them. You can't give in to this. You can't be weak." I know I should push the dream aside. Detach from the longing in my heart.

"I don't find you weak at all." Aydan, the real Aydan, moves his hands to my hips and turns me to him. "Not in the least. I love your human form." He presses his body to mine.

His touch sears me. I pull away, barely able to speak. "Aydan? You're here?"

"Be with me," he says, kissing my jaw, my neck, my shoulder. Every spot his mouth touches closes the empty spaces inside.

A storm of desire gathers in my soul. Not just desire—need. "I shouldn't...can't—"

Aydan stops and looks at me, his amber eyes as beautiful now as the day we met in Germany. "Tell me you don't love me."

I try to form the words. Try to lie. But every cell, human and angelic, reaches out for him. Every thought, only him. I fall back into him, giving in to everything I desire.

He wraps me in a hungry kiss, erasing the pain, the torment, the anguish. All that remains is my need. My love.

"Let me have you. Love you," he says, his voice trembling.

I open my mouth to respond, the words nothing but dust. A single moan escapes as he draws me into another kiss.

Somehow he reaches every dark corner of my soul, healing the betrayal and pain from so long ago. I want nothing but him and this moment.

For all eternity.

My duty flits through my thoughts. My promise to vanquish him. My oath to remain detached. To purge all emotions.

Not going to happen. Not with Aydan.

This is all I want now. All I need.

I am fulfilled in a way I never thought possible. I part my lips and succumb fully to the moment. My body feels as though it will implode as heat fuses my cells from my belly to my head. Our tongues greedily explore each other. I thread my hands through his hair as he slides his mouth along my jaw, my neck, my arms, leaving a burning trail crisscrossing my body.

My senses overwhelm, sending stars shooting across my vision. My body quivers and the last of my defenses dissolve. Nothing matters anymore.

Not Mikayel's wrath. Not Azzaziel's rage.

Only Aydan's love.

And my burning need.