Chapter 45

Nesy

Nesy

The Sentinals chase the dark creature into the encroaching fog. I watch as they lose them in the black emptiness, listening to their cries of frustration. My sword remains planted in Azza's chest. I call Mikayel, but my voice dies around me. Not good.

I will always love you, Nesy. Remember me...

The words replay in an endless loop through my mind. I feel Aydan's love. His pain. His resolve.

No!

A small sound floats from Azza's mouth. "You still lose, Sentinal," he spits. "You still lose." A malicious smile flashes across his face as he chokes on his own laughter.

I drive my blade deeper into his chest. Black liquid trickles from his mouth. His face drains of color. Rotting flesh falls from his bones.

That ought to shut him up.

Again Aydan's voice finds my heart.

Where are you?

I step over Azza, ignoring the breathless laughter emanating from his nearly dead mouth.

I'm coming, Aydan. Wait.

I search through the murky fog surrounding me. A valley of mist clears in front of me revealing my own personal horror—Aydan on his knees; Mikayel pointing the Sword of Truth at his chest.

"No!" I yell across the expanse. "Stop." My legs refuse to respond, pinning me where I stand.

Stand down, Sentinal. Mikayel's words slam into me, mixing with Azza's incessant laughter.

I take one more step forward as the weight of Aydan's torment crashes over me, mixing with my own. My gaze meets his, tears trickling down our cheeks.

"Goodbye," he silently mouths.

Run...it's too late.

Stop him...Aydan wants this.

Mikayel will do what I can't. And Aydan will finally find peace.

I stare at Mikayel and nod. His eyes widen, sadness replaced with a feral rage. Aydan opens his mouth, clamoring to his feet.

Blinding pain explodes through my body, my stomach, my chest.

My heart.

I look down as a sea of nausea envelops me. Hot sticky wetness mats against my skin, coating my armor. A dagger lodges under my breastplate. Blood fills my throat, covering my tongue and lips.

Azza stands beside me, his eyes locked with Aydan. He yanks the blade through my flesh.

A fresh wave of agony overtakes me. I fall, my body convulsing, flashes of my life streaming around me.

Moments with Adam. With Aydan.

The feel of his touch on my skin.

The sound of his voice in my ears.

And the look of love in his eyes.

My body folds in on itself as everything turns black.

Aydan's voice fades from my mind.

And my thoughts...

End.