Chapter 30

Nesy

Nesy

My voice bounces off the chamber walls as the Sentinals fade away. I run to the door, desperate. I can't leave. Mikayel's barrier is too strong. Impenetrable. I'm trapped, unable to warn Aydan.

I think of the Sentinals, Briathos and Zaapiel, charging after him. Best in their class, after me. Determined. Focused. Relentless. Everything I've been trained to be. Everything I was.

Before Aydan.

I pace in front of the door like a caged animal. I have to escape. My heart slams against my chest, each beat tolling the end of Aydan's life.

The end of mine.

I scream out my frustration. What a mess everything has become—a mess I can't fix.

"I see Mikayel didn't like your suggestion." Zane stands at the threshold, his arms crossed over his chest, looking smug.

"Not at all."

"I'd say I told you so, but that seems a little harsh. Even for me." He stares at me, an impish twinkle in his eyes. "But I can offer you another way to fix this."

"Why would you do that? You agree with Mikayel."

"Yeah, I do. Your first duty is to Celestium. But Gabriel sent me. He told me what you two talked about and asked me to search my heart. He said I needed to come to my own opinions about your fate."

"Really?" I ask, my wings nervously twitching behind me. "And what did you decide?"

"I'm not ready to see my best friend cast out. Not over this. I think you should go back and fulfill your oath. Mikayel gave you three days. You have one left. Take care of this and the Council will forget everything. Don't, and you're as good as gone."

I release the breath I'm holding with a sigh. Zane never ceases to surprise me.

"So, you're going to help me escape?"

A slow smile streaks across his face. "Yeah. I'm going to help you."

I grab my sword and prepare to break through the barrier. All I can think about is getting to Aydan in time.

"Not like that," Zane laughs. "We aren't busting out of here. I have something better in mind. Another conversation with Mikayel. Don't blow it this time."

"Mikayel?"

"Just tell him you're ready to do your job. That's all he's looking for." Zane reaches his hand through the invisible barrier. "Come on."

"Are you sure this will work? Mikayel was pretty mad," I ask as we walk back to his study.

"It'll work. Just focus on finishing your job, okay?"

Mikayel waits in the chamber, stoic as always. "Gabriel says you are ready to be the Sentinal I expect?"

"I am."

"I'm not sure I can trust you now." There is a deep sorrow in Mikayel's eyes.

"Call off the other team" I say too fast. Maybe he is right not to trust me.

Zane throws me a cautioning look.

"Sir," I add. "I will do this, Master. I will vanquish him as I've promised."

Mikayel draws a quick breath, considering every word. He has to believe me. I need him to trust me.

And I need to fulfill my oath. For Mikayel. For Aydan.

For me.

"I will not call off the other team."

I open my mouth to protest as Zane grabs my hand and motions for me to quiet.

Mikayel squares his shoulders, every inch of sadness replaced by resolve. "You have a day. Nothing more. Do your job. No more talk of redemption. I will not have you ruin your life for that UnHoly and the master he serves. Go and do what you must. I expect nothing less."

Once again images of the Abyss glint through my thoughts. I swallow it all down, ignoring the bitter taste my emotions leave in my mouth. "Fine." I acquiesce. "I'll finish this by your deadline."

"Thank you," Zane adds.

"Thank Gabriel." Mikayel turns away.

Zane raises his hands and forges open the portal. I step through, collapsing one world and entering the cathedral gardens.

I expect to see the other team, expect the battle to already be waged. But only Aydan appears before me, waiting.

"They let you leave," he says, scooping me into a strong embrace.

"Thanks to Zane."

Aydan nods at Zane.

Zane may be willing to help me, but Aydan will never be anything more than an Unholy in his eyes.

He ignores Aydan's appreciation and glares at me. "Don't make me regret this, Nes. Finish it. Now." He fades away, leaving me with Aydan.

And the burden of what I must do.

"What was that about?" Aydan asks.

"It doesn't matter," My throat is dry and the words scrape against my mouth. "The Council won't discuss your redemption."

He wraps his hands around my waist. "I didn't think they would."

"Actually, it's just Mikayel. I think the others would've listened. If only he wasn't so stubborn."

"Sounds like someone else I know." Clouds pass through Aydan's features. "Look, you tried and I appreciate it. But now you have to finish your task and send me to my death." Aydan frees his hold on me and drops to his knees. "Release me from my hell, Nesy. Please."

Tears burn my skin as they trickle down my face. I give him one last kiss, tasting his torment. I know he can taste mine.

"Please, Nesy, do it. Before I change my mind." A single tear slithers down his cheek.