Chapter 37

Aydan

Aydan

My hopes fall away as I walk back into the club. Lori is strung up against the backdrop of the altar, the candles burned down to their ends. Her arms and legs are bound together. Pieces of flesh have been torn from her body. Bruises—angry, purple and red—color her face, her legs, her torso. My insides clench as I look at her, pain forever carved into her face.

The crowd has grown in the club, one big mob of the UnHoly. They clamor around the nearly dead Seer, hungry.

Azza strokes Lori's hair, caressing her. Bile churns in my throat as rage surges through me. I want to kill Azza.

Later.

Right now, all I can think about is Lori and the way her soul calls to me.

"Ah, you've come back," Azza mocks. "I knew you wouldn't be able to resist her. But just to make sure..." Azza rips his claws against her torso.

She screams. The sound reaches into my soul, pulling on the Beast. I can't control the need rushing through me. My breath comes in small, shallow gasps as my legs move against my will, bringing me closer to her.

"It's time to make good on your promises, Aydan. For Nesy's sake."

The sound of her name on his lips crushes me. I want to scream "No!" Tell him to forget his miserable plans.

I want to kill him where he stands.

"I know you want her. I can feel your body reaching for her." Azza whispers in my ear. "Do it, Aydan. Take her. Fulfill your destiny."

My body shakes. I look into Lori's eyes, bloodied and red. She radiates agony. It passes from her to me, breaking my resolve. Unleashing the Beast. I don't know how much longer I can hold back.

"Please," she whispers to me. "Kill me. I can't take anymore of this. Don't let him be the one."

"Quiet! We like our meals silent," Azza barks.

A cacophony of screeches erupts from the mob. They move closer, pressing in on me. I lock eyes with Lori, desperate to understand her unspoken words.

Do you really want me to do it? Kill you?

"Please," Lori says much louder this time. A final act of defiance.

I can't bear the torment I see in her eyes. All because of me, because I was so weak so long ago.

Never again.

"Kill me," Lori mouths. "Please. For Nesy."

I move closer, my body next to hers.

"It's okay," she mouths, barely able to move her mouth. "I'm dead anyway."

Her body trembles in my arms.

"Do this," she says, choking on every word. "To save Nesy. You owe me that much." I owe her so much more.

Azza watches as I stand inches from her face, quivering.