Chapter 40

Nesy

Nesy

The ground beneath me shakes as I float in and out of oblivion. The Great Hall is full by the time I arrive. Zaapiel nods at me. His cold eyes send shivers down my spine. He and a handful of Sentinals are locked in conversation with Mikayel. About me, no doubt.

"Wow. You Sentinals always look so impressive in uniform." Zane materializes next to me, and Cass two steps behind him. "When do you leave?" he asks.

"Anytime now."

"I don't think you should go," Cass says as she pulls me away from the crowd and into one of the interior corridors. Zane follows close behind, looking angry. No, not angry, worried.

"Cass, stop." Zane says, his eyes darting from Cass to me.

"No, I have to say this. Nesy, it's a trap. Azzaziel's using Aydan as bait. He's going to kill you."

Yeah, no kidding.

"He can try."

"I'm being serious, Nesayiel."

"And so am I. Cassiel, I'm not planning on tangling with Azzaziel. I'll let Mikayel take care of him. I want Aydan. I'm going to do what I should have done four days ago. If I happen to kill a few more UnHoly along the way, all the better." Anticipation wells up through me, mixing with my torment. "They're going to pay for what they did to Lorelei. What he did."

Zane shifts uncomfortably, his wings stretching behind him. "Not that I'm unhappy that you are back to acting like the cocky Sentinal again, but something about this doesn't add up." His worried expression deepens. "Since when were you willing to let go of your feelings for Aydan?"

He knows me too well.

"Since he decided that Azzaziel was his last hope." My face hardens with the words. "Since he killed my sister."

"Nesy," Cass says as Zane grabs her arm.

I ignore Cass's words. "Aydan made his choice. We both did. The difference is I thought about someone other than myself when I made mine."

"Aydan isn't the bad guy you think he is," Cass says in hushed tones. "He wants Mikayel and the army to come down. Wants—"

"Cassiel," Zane warns "Don't."

"You made the promise, Zane. Not me. Nesy deserves to know the truth. I won't let her go on thinking—"

"Guys, I'm standing right here. Stop talking about me like I'm not. Tell me what's going on or get out of my way. I have an army to join—some demonic butt to kick."

"Fine," Zane says, releasing a deep sigh. "Aydan didn't kill Lori for Azza."

"I saw him do it. And I don't care what he thinks his reasons were. It doesn't matter now."

"Nes, listen to me. He did it to save her, to end her suffering. She begged him to kill her and save you. He did it for her. He committed a selfless act. On his own." Zane stares at me, the weight of his words a yoke around my neck.

"So what? Am I supposed to be impressed by that?" My voice cracks and my stupid tears return.

I am so tired of crying over him.

"He let you believe the lie so you would tell Mikayel. Ensure his death."

Like that makes a difference.

"He never planned on joining Azza. He's only doing this to protect you. Save you." Zane stares through me.

Dangit.

"It doesn't matter now," I lie. "Lorelei is still dead because of him. Aydan still belongs to the Dark One." The words strengthen my resolve. "His intentions don't matter now. It's too late."

"It does matter. Do you know what Azza will do to him?" Cass asks

"Yes. He'll receive the marks. Be branded for eternity."

"And those marks will strip everything away, Nesy. Everything. His feelings for you, his mercy for Lori, his memories. All of it. When Azzaziel's finished, Aydan will be nothing but a killer."

Cassiel's words cut through my warrior's shell. Bitter acid fills my mouth as everything I hope, every crazy fantasy I still have, ends.

I can't let him do this. Not for me.

"I have to stop him," I whisper.

"That's what Azzaziel is counting on. He wants you dead. You and Mikayel." Cass puts her hand on my shoulder.

"What am I supposed to do? Let Azzaziel strip Aydan's soul away? Let Mikayel kill him?"

Yes, that's exactly what I'm supposed to do.

"What if Mikayel fails?" I ask. "What if Aydan is bound to Azzaziel forever, another Dark One we can't fully defeat?" I pace in front of my friends, trying to ferret out a solution. "I can't let that happen. I have to get there first—before Aydan receives the marks. While he still remembers who I am."

War trumpets blare through the city.

I'm out of time.

"Guys, I need you." I swallow hard, forcing out my question. "Will you help me end this? The right way?"

"We've been ordered to stay," Cass says. "Help with the wounded."

"I know, but I can't do this without you; I can't fight off all of the demons, the UnHoly and stop Azzaziel all by myself. I need help."

Zane and Cass share a glance before looking at me. I knew I could count on them. I look into the Great Hall one last time. Mikayel catches my gaze.

Blazes!

His eyes widen as he recognizes my intent. I open a portal in the narrow corridor.

"Nesayiel. Wait!" Mikayel pushes Zaapiel away and runs to me.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I have to do this." The portal closes as Mikayel fades away, concern marring every feature.