Chapter 23

Aydan

Aydan

The hospital ward is quiet, patients sleep and nurses attend to paperwork or talk amongst themselves. A lone Guardian blocks Lori's door.

"I'll take care of him," Azza says. "You take care of Lori. But be quick. I doubt he's the only Guardian here."

Azza flicks his wrist as a loud crash emanates from the walls, catching the Guardian by surprise. He looks at Azza, his green eyes holding me where I stand. There is no recognition on the Guardian's face and he spins toward the sound, following it. I slip into Lori's room and my body tenses. The Beast wars with my mind.

I don't want to do this. I can't. But there is no choice now, not since Bedburg. Not since I bargained with the devil.

"Hurry," Azza again says as the door between us closes.

Lori's eyes dart back and forth underneath her closed eyelids. Dreaming.

Does she dream of Nesy as I do?

I part my lips and kiss my prey. Shame coats my throat as hunger fills my senses. Just do it, I tell myself. Unable to hold back the Beast any longer, I press against her and sip her soul.

Lori's eyes fly open and startle me. She shoves against my chest. I pull back for a moment and she screams.

My hand slams against her mouth, an act of instinct more than intent. "Shhh," I warn. "Don't make this any worse than it already is."

Terror glints in her eyes. Her scream stops, her mouth closes.

"I don't want to do this, Lori," I say as I move my hand away from her mouth. The Beast urges me to finish.

Lori again pushes me. "Then don't," she blurts out. Another scream escapes her lips.

Not good. Not good at all.

"If you do that again, I'll have no choice but to kill you."

Lori resigns and falls back, silent.

"Good, you understand me now."

She nods. "The angels will be back. She'll come back. You can't win this."

Every word wraps around me. She's right. I lost this fight centuries ago.

I stare at Lori and see the little girl now grown. Same flaming hair. Same haunting eyes. Same fierce expression.

How did I not notice this before?

Lori's blood pulses fast through her neck. Her fear seeps into me.

"Please don't kill me. I know you don't want to."

Every moment I wait brings agony as the Beast urges me forward. I need to take her, rip her soul and let it nourish me. Fulfill Azza's dark purpose.