Chapter 24

Nesy

Nesy

The ground beneath me shakes as I float in and out of oblivion. My mind whirls, taking in the scene. Two Guardians dead on the floor. Another lays at Aydan's feet. Aydan's hands hold a dagger, still wet with my brethren's blood. Nurses and doctors walk the corridors, unaware. Patients sleep in their rooms. All except for Lori.

No!

I cast my human form to the ground, not thinking. Brandishing my sword, I enter the fray.

No one else dies because of my failures.

Anguish streaks across Aydan's face as I run towards him. Pain rolls off him in waves. "Nesy, I—"

Too late for my sympathy.

I run past him and lunge into the real cause of this horrific scene. Azza. He falls back into Lori's room.

"Get up, Azzaziel," I snarl. "Time to finish this."

"Aydan, your lover has spunk!" he yells into the hall. "I like that," he whispers at me.

I ignore his words and hold my blade steady against him.

"You can't beat me. Didn't Mikayel teach you that?" Azza steps forward, pushing his sword against mine.

"Care to bet your life on that?" I counter his attack, matching each blow. My blade pierces his shoulder.

Azza groans. "You'll pay for that, little warrior," he spits. He unleashes a torrent of blows, each one powerful enough to knock me from the room.

I strengthen my stance. Block and counter, slowly regaining my ground. Until something hits me from behind.

"You?" I ask and Aydan hits my back a second time.

Him, I can beat.

"Aw, how sweet. The lovers are reunited," Azza taunts as I round on Aydan, careful to keep them both in my sight.

Zane approaches Aydan from behind, dagger drawn.

"You don't want to do that, Mediator."

"Oh, I do. I really do." Zane strikes as Aydan spins out of the way.

Fast. Despite his injuries.

Impressive.

Azza takes a step back and I confront him, my sword level with his heart. "Time for you to leave."

"As you wish, Sentinal." Azza's body fades into smoke.

I jab at the fading image, slicing nothing but air. "No!" I scream as the last of Azza's image disappears.

I spin to face Aydan, my heart full of rage. A growl escapes my mouth as words dance through my thoughts. Accusations of murder. Confessions of love. Everything I cannot bring myself to say out loud.