Chapter 19

Nesy

Nesy

I arrive at East Side moments before class. Aydan is bound to be at school, if for no other reason than to feed off the students' torment and pain as they learn about their classmate's death.

Was that only yesterday? It seems like a lifetime ago.

The campus is quiet. Solemn. Grief counselors meet with small groups of students helping them process the loss. They huddle together. Some cry. Many seem curious, whispering their curiosities: "Was it a drug overdose?" "Was she attacked by some psychopath?" "Did she kill herself?" The questions are endless.

And all wrong.

Aydan is to blame. Only Aydan.

Two innocent deaths on my watch. Two more reasons why I have to finish this now. Today, before I change my mind.

My morning classes creep by with no sign of Aydan. No sign of Azzaziel. Strange. They should be here. I push out my thoughts and search. Every feeling leads me back to school. They're here.

Somewhere.

The bell for lunch rings and I head out amongst the throng. The students are not as sad, not as shocked. They walk with their friends as death fades from their conversations.

I walk too, still looking for any sign of Aydan. Tendrils of emotion seep through my façade as seconds turn into minutes. My body tenses and I imagine the feel of his hand in mine.

No. I won't do this. I won't pine for him.

Focus, Sentinal. I ignore the waxing tide of feelings that threaten to overcome me: desire, guilt, rage. Sentinals do not give in to emotions. I repeat the words, desperate to embrace my training. None of it works and the tempest continues to rise, swirling through me.

I make one last attempt to find Aydan amongst the crowd at lunch. My mind splinters as pictures of my sister filter into my thoughts. Images of a suicide. Her suicide.

Help me Nesy. Please. Make me strong. This is the only way.

I try to dismiss the voice, the images, and focus only on my job. It's no use. Lorelei's pleas are too compelling.

"Nesy."

Not in my head.

"Nesy."

That voice is real.

"Are you okay?"

I spin around and face my past. "Lori?" Her name scrapes across my throat. I stare into her eyes. She's alive, just as Raphael had promised. Alive with no memory.

I hope.

"Hey! I was looking for you." I say.

"That's funny, I was looking for you too."