Chapter 29

Aydan

Aydan

I pace the gardens waiting for Nesy to return. She's been gone too long already. The sun streaks across the sky. There is so little time before Azza forces a choice I can't make.

One step. Another. And another. Each reminding me that she still isn't back. I can't take it anymore—can't stand not knowing.

Did she convince the Council?

Of course not, you are a Beast.

Did she offend them in asking?

—You know she did.

Is she in trouble now?

—Deep trouble.

My mind folds in on itself as I reconcile the danger Nesy has placed herself in because of me. Always because of me. My pace increases with my agitation. I should've never let her go. Should've never started this so long ago.

My gaze catches her human form, asleep on the bench behind me. She looks peaceful. Angelic.

You have to be okay.

The Beast stirs as my mind wraps around my fear. It stabs at my heart, trying to shred my resolve. I push it aside, focusing only on Nesy and all that she means to me. She was my past. She is my present.

But she can never be my future. Azza claimed that too long ago.

He will try to purge her from me. Torture me into forgetting about her and my love. I'll kill him before that happens. Kill me.

The Beast fights back, struggling against my intentions. Kill me. The words bounce off my thoughts. It is the only way to fix this. The Beast rams against my mind. My vows tug at me, reminding me of the impossibility of my death. Azza will never allow it, nor will the Beast. There is only one way.

Nesy.

It has to be Nesy.

I'll kill anyone else who tries, the rage more than I can control. But not her. I won't let the Beast touch her, no matter how intense the pain. She's the only one. She must kill me.

Soon.