Chapter 21

Nesy

Nesy

I sleep in the chair next to Lori's hospital bed, reliving the fragments of my former life. Memories of Lorelei. The times we spent collecting eggs, making butter, milking cows. Mundane tasks I enjoyed with my sister. Until Adam. After he came, my world changed, becoming promises and secrets. Dreams and desire.

In my mind, I feel his kisses, his embrace. I needed him then. Craved him. Every moment we spent apart felt like an eternity, every moment together—heaven.

But that was another life.

My thoughts change as images of Aydan's killing sprees alternate with the pictures of my life with Adam, tormenting my sleep.

More than once, I startle awake only to see the concerned faces of my friends and the Guardians. Their expressions remind me of how messed up I am. No Sentinal gets involved. No Sentinal feels these feelings. No Sentinal falls in love.

Focus, Nesy. Do your duty. Zane's voice, a constant reminder, replays over and over in my thoughts.

I look at Lori, alive because of the machines pushing oxygen through her body. Each pulse of the machine rips a piece of Aydan-Adam away. No matter what he was once, he's nothing more than a monster now. The UnHoly.

My target.

I wipe away the tears filling my eyes and say goodbye to the life I once lived. Time to end this nonsense. For good.

"You should rest. You've barely slept." Cass hovers near me, her skin bathing the room in an indigo glow.

"I feel fine, Cassiel. Determined." I glance at my friend.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I swallow the doubt rising through me. "Zane's right. Aydan is a monster. He'll never be anything more, he can't."

"We'll make sure Lori stays safe. Do what you must." Cass embraces me. "Be careful," she whispers.

"I will." I walk from the room to the elevator at the end of the hall, oblivious to everything but the job in front of me. I've let this go on too long, let myself remember things best forgotten, let myself feel.

No more.

The elevator slowly descends and I again picture Aydan's death.

The weapon, my dagger...a close kill, personal.

The words, whispered...into his ear.

The time, during an embrace...so he never forgets.

This ends tonight.

The elevator bell sounds as the door opens on the ground floor. I walk forward, bumping into the person in front of me.

"Sorry," I mumble, scarcely aware of where I am or who I've just run in to.

"Nesy?" Aydan's voice sharpens my mind into focus. "Is Lori okay?"