Chapter 46

Aydan

Aydan

A scream, my scream, flows from my mouth. "Nesy!" I push away from Mikayel. The Akedah knife lies at my feet. I hurl it at my master, cursing him. The knife whirls through the air and lodges in his neck. Azza howls in agony and pulls out the blade.

Nesy slinks to the ground, silver blood pouring from her mouth, her chest. It soaks through her armor.

Coming. Coming. Coming.

Rage explodes the brand on my neck. You'll pay for this, Azza. I barrel into Azza, thrusting my sword into the open wound on his chest. He growls and tosses me aside.

Not this time.

A snarl rips across my lips. The marks blaze against my skin. I hunger for Azza. For his death. It's a hunger I'm more than willing to feed.

I push back into him, clawing his skin with my taloned fingers. Feeding off his rage. Azza wraps his hands around my throat and squeezes.

"I'm too strong for you now. You should've killed me before you marked me as your equal." I'm blind with fury for the Beast that is Azza.

The Beast I've become.

I wrench myself free from Azza's grasp and rip open his skin. Mikayel's strong hand stops me from shredding Azza. I wrestle against his hold, desperate to do what I should've done so long ago.

A shadow coils around Azza. I reach for him as he begins to fade.

"No," Mikayel says. "Tend to Nesy. She needs you. Get her to Celestium before it's too late. Get her to the healers, to Raphael." Mikayel chokes on the last words, his battle worn features marred by a lone tear slithering down his face.

Nesy.

I look at the tattered body of my love.

Nesy.

Not you.

Never you.

It was supposed to be me.

Me!

Tears overwhelm me as my rage gives way to sorrow.

"I'll go after Azza. You help Nesy." Mikayel places a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Take her home." He disappears after Azza, fading into the darkness as a scream echoes in the fog.

Kill him Mikayel. Kill him for me. For Nesy.

I bend down and cradle her broken body. Her eyes flutter open for a moment. "Aydan," she rattles.

"Shhhh, love. Don't try to speak." I can't stop the tears, the pain, the rage.

"Did I stop him? Before the last mark—did I stop him?"

"Yes, you did great."

Nesy's eyes roll back in her head. I hold her, knowing she won't survive. Fighting my need to end her life, still. I strain against the Beast and carry her to a portal.

Cass and Zane run to me, their bodies and faces bruised. Battered. By me. Grief blankets their expressions as they look from Nesy to me. I shake my head and feel our hearts shatter.

"We'll take you to Celestium." Cass takes my arm. "To the healers."

Nesy groans with every step.

"I'm sorry if this hurts, love." I can barely speak. "I have to get you home. I promised Mikayel."

Her eyes snap open. "Aydan," she forces through gritted teeth.

"Shhh. It's okay." Zane caresses her forehead, calming her.

"Aydan. Listen to me," Nesy whispers. "I need you to remember who you are, okay? In case I don't make it." Her face shows the agony she feels.

The agony calling me to feed.

"You are an angel, Aydan. My angel. Not some monster for Azzaziel. Remember." Her voice fades. Her eyes close. "Tell Mikayel. You are still an ang—" She stops and her head rolls to the side.

My world rains down on me as my knees begin to shake.

Her beauty

—gone.

Her love

—taken.

Her life

—over.

"Stay with me, Nesy. We're almost home, baby. Please, stay with me." The words shake as my voice cracks.

I can't stand.

Can't breathe.

Zane takes my arms, bearing some of the load I carry.

"We have to go. Close the portal," I manage to choke out. "Now!" The spaces close in around us, Nesy's limp body in my arms.