Chapter 18

I take a deep breath. "Okay Nick, I don't know if this will work."

Our condition wasn't so hot, if you know what I'm saying. Jessica was dehydrated, Nick was had a couple of second degree burns, and Aaron was missing. And the pegasi were no where to be seen. They must've ran away from the diner. I had a stinging pain in the back of me head. Slowly I touch where the pain was, and the wound was sticky with dried blood. I wince as my head started to vibrate with nerves sending pain to the wounded area.

Nick reached up and took my hand. "You don't have to save me...Save J-jessica." He coughed, as if he smoked six packs a day.

"I can't just choose!" I wince again. "You are both my friends. I can't leave you or Jessica like this." I let go of his hand. "Now hold still...This may hurt...I think." I placed my hands on his chest. I tried to focus my energy, but all I could concentrate on was the horrible sensation behind my head. I closed my eyes, remember how you healed Kasidee. Her face showed up in my conscious. Oh gods, I miss her so much. But I regain my focus to the time when she used to get scrapes of her legs from playing in the mulch in the playground. If I could heal her, I can heal Nick too.

My hands were warm, and underneath my palms I felt some of his burns sink back into his skin.

Nick muffled his breath, and tried to keep still.

My hands went up to his shoulders, his burns receded back. My head was feeling like mush, I quickly take my hands off of him.

"I'm...Sorry..I couldn't heal you fully." I mumble.

Nick sat up, with a smile. "You did what you could. Thank you Autumn." He encases me in his arms. I take the offer and hug him back, but he smelled like sewage water.

I pull away. I hear neighing in the distance. Potato  made bee line straight for Jessica. Potato lowered her head and pushed Jessica lightly. Potato looked at me, and grunted, beckoning for me to come over.

I walked over to Potato, and she nudges me towards her saddle. It had a small pouch. I open the pouch and find a Ziplock bag full of small squares of ambrosia. A small canteen full of nectar. And I saw the cornucopia in there as well.

"Good job Potato," I take the canteen out of the bag.

"No..."Jessica croaked. "Those are for emergencies."

"This is an emergency," I kneel down next to her, I open the canteen and bring it to her lips. "Drink."

Without hesitation, Jessica sipped the nectar. Quickly I pull it away, to much ambrosia could possibly kill her. I put the canteen back in the pouch. 

"How are you feeling?" Nick asked Jessica.

"Eh..."Jessica slurred.

"We may have to rest her for a while." I say.

More neighing was heard in the distance. Starburst and Shadow were galloping to the diner. They had fear in their eyes.

I went to Starburst, "What's the matter?" I ask her.

Nick stood near the the broken windows. "I have a feeling that we might have company. And it's not going to be the good kind."

"We can't go anywhere, not when Jessica can't even stand." I tell him. "But if we stay here..."

"That's why we have to go."  He went up to Shadow, and the Pegasus took a step back. as if to say, "You are not worthy enough to ride me."

"C'mon I can't fly. My shoes are wet." Nick said as he tried to get close to Shadow again.

Jessica struggled to get up. I run to her and help her up. She was as light as a bag of feathers. I lift her onto Starburst, and so did I.

Shadow finally let Nick on, and as soon as he sat, Shadow made him fly off. Shadow snickered.

"Stupid horse." Nick mumbled.

We walked out of the diner. The day was sunny, and the sky was full of white and gray clouds. Starburst shook her head and stepped back, she sensed something, and it was getting close.

Potato was first to take flight. Shadow followed, and so did Starburst. 

I was exhausted, healing Nick took most of the energy that I had remaining. Jessica was holding onto me from behind, and judging by the snores, she was asleep. Nick was the only one in good health. I could tell he was deep in thought. What was he thinking?

~Nicholas P.O.V~

Is Autumn going to be okay? I told her she shouldn't healed me. But she did. Now she's exhausted, all because of me.

I'm praying with all my might to all Gods that we will be able to get through this alive. 

And what was that thing that was coming after us? Why can't we just get a break. A break from all monsters. A break from all quests. But I am doing this for Autumn. And she is doing this for her sister.

It's been about two hours since we've left the Diner. Shadow was being cooperative with me, for once. And somehow Autumn was still awake. But she won't be for long.

Then I hear a familiar voice, a voice that I never planned on hearing again.

"Need a lift son?"