Chapter 2- Rules

Rules are the things that hold my life together. You don't go out after dark. You only eat blood. You don't have fat. You're burned from working outside all day. You don't look pleased by anything. You scramble to go anywhere. For me, there are rules for everything. And The Respected Ones just broke all of mine. It's very dark, although I was expecting them to break this one. They must have been eating more than blood because they aren't thin. I mean, they aren't fat, but they are definitely not thin. They are extremely pale, like they had never seen the sun in their lives. And they are smiling. Not smirking, not trying too look a little happy, but full-blown smiling. When I invite them in, they break yet another rule. The don't walk in. They dance. Not real dancing, not like with hands up and jumping in the air or anything. They sort of sway to some invisible music, and step together, without a single stumble. That's how I knew they were The Respected Ones.

"Uhhh... would you like to sit down?" I ask politely. I am acutely aware of the state of the room we are standing in. On the left side of the room is a rickety wooden table with three plates and three glasses on it. One of the plates and glasses hasn't been touched in forever, but the other two are my mom's and mine. Around the table were three chairs. On the right side of the room there is a couch and a love seat, both have stuffing poping out in places. Just like upstairs, everything has a fine layer of dirt on it.

"No," The one in the front says. He has black hair that blends in with the black tuxedo he is wearing. "We would like to talk."

"OK," I respond.

"We want you to come," The one in front speaks again.

A tiny girl with fiery red hair behind him jumps in, "With us," She turns to the other man, "You have to tell her everything. She can't read minds, William."

"I know, Amelia, but I assumed she was smart-"

A thin, the thinnest of all of them, lady from behind the man who hadn't spoken yet interrupts William, "She is smart, but you can't just assume she knows what you mean, and we can't risk scaring her off..." She had an oddly high voice.

"I don't think that will happen," I interrupt. Everyone looks at me. "I could have run when I heard you knocking, but I didn't. So I don't think I'll be able to escape now."

"Ha!" Booms a voice. "I told you she was useful. She can be our court jester!" After looking around for a minute, I pinpoint it as the man who had not spoken yet.

"Joseph!" Exclaims the tiny girl, "How dare you! She will be part-"

"Amelia. Careful what you say," said William calmly.

The thin woman speaks up from the back again, "Why shouldn't we tell her? She should know her future."

"Isabella! I haven't known you to have such a smart mouth!" Says Joseph in mock surprise.

"Awww, shut it, Joe," responds Isabella

"You know, you argue a lot," I say, smirking.

................................................................................................................................................................

Hey-o!

I know I'm a little early, an hour and a half to be exact, but I couldn't wait! 

Have a marvelous week, and be happy! You deserve it!