Chapter 18: Surprise, Surprise

"You mean blood, right?" Asked Jason.

"No, not blood. Food," Isabella said it like it was a normal thing, "We don't eat any of it, but we use it to help those who join us ease into eating only blood. We haven't used it in a while, I think Joseph's the last one who ate. But we have blood to, if you want."

"So, while there are people out there, starving-" I start.

"They aren't starving. If they were they'd be dead," interrupted Isabella, "they have enough of our genes to live on it."

"But they aren't healthy," I argued.

"They're related to us, and they've survived for years," countered Isabella, "They'll deal with it."

"But if you have so much food-"

She interrupted again, "We don't have 'so much food.' We're running out. It takes a long time for the transition to process."

Jason spoke, "I think you have a problem with interrupting."

"Watch your words little boy,"

"Why? It's not like you can kill us because you're pissed off. And I'm not a little boy," Jason said.

Isabella leaned forward and whispered in his face, "Compared to me you are. And I have more freedom than you know," and then she disappeared.

"Well that was odd," I said.

"I think she has a crush on me," said Jason.

"Woah, woah, woah. You are wrong in so many ways," I chuckled, for some reason annoyed at the fact that she might like him. "She obviously just likes intimidating people, which she does by being exceptionally aware of herself. Plus, I think she's with Joseph."

"How can you tell?" he asks.

"They're usually together and they're feet always point at each other. You know, your feet point at the person you love." We both looked down and turned a little away from each other.

"I wasn't refering too that. I was asking why you think she likes intimidating people."

"Honestly, are you blind?" I said, exasperated.

"No, why-" Jason started.

Then a high voice drifted down the hall, "I thought you were hungry."