Intro

Amber's POV:

My eyes watered at the icy air that nipped at my face. It was snowing for the third time this week. I hated snow. Not like I can do anything about it though.

I trudged up the steps, leading to my step-parents' apartment. I do my best to stay quiet. I was late again. I took off my black ankle high boots, black crop-leather jacket, and gloves until the kitchen light flickered on. I froze and turn to the kitchen.

In the threshold of the kitchen door, was my step-father. He was a very large man, with broad shoulders, and- like a body builder - had a thin waist line.

He glared at me like everyone else did. Like I was a freak. Like I was someone who never belonged. "Amber." His nostrils flared, as he spoke through gritted teeth. "You're late."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and just managed to keep my voice from shaking. "My sincerest apologies, sir." I paused for a moment before continuing. "You see, I was-" he interrupted me by slamming his fist against the wall.

"I don't want your damn excuses!" He growled. "Lift your shirt."

"But I-"

"I said, lift. Your. Shirt." He spat, emphasizing the 't.'

I swallowed hard again, and with trembling hands I lifted the back of my shirt. Soon enough I felt cold steel break my skin. I winced, but nothing more.

When he was done, he grabbed the new wound, made at my waist line, and squeeze. I couldn't scream. If I did he would do it again. That was the rule to this sick game of his. The pain was blinding. I could feel how deep he had made it, and how far he dragged it across my back, and waist.

Finally, after moments that felt like centuries he let go. I fell to my knees. My breathing was uneven. My throat had run dry, and I my vision was the slightest bit blurry, from the pain.

My step father drew his leg back, and kicked my in the stomach. Hard. I tear up, having the wind knocked out of me. "Go clean yourself up." He growled. "And if you get blood on anything, I'll make sure you won't be using your legs anytime soon."

He went up stairs, and I heard his bedroom door slam. Panting, with wobbling knees, I walked up the stairs, and as quietly as I could, I made my way into the bathroom.

I had gotten off easy. There were times when my step mother would force feed- or even trick me into eating -inedible foods, like a poisonous mushroom stew, or they would both use their belts to mark my back. I got lucky.

I grabbed the bandages in the mirror cabinet, and began cleaning my wound. I wrap the bandages around my waist. I look into the mirror to see my stepmother's reflection behind me.

She glanced down at my new wound and sneered. As she made her way in my direction, I remained frozen in place.

"Pathetic." She said, her green eyes blazing with cruelty. "Get out." Without saying a word I left the bathroom.

I lay on my stomach, staring out my bedroom window. The snow still fell, and the wind still blew. A shiver ran down my spine and I winced at the burning in my waist.

To distract myself from the pain, I pulled out my phone, and re-watched my favorite show. 'Naruto Shippuden.' I've watched the show several times.

I looked on in amazement, as Naruto- the blond headed, knucklehead ninja -repeatedly stood back up when knocked down.

'How does he do it? How can he keep fighting through all that?' I thought.