Chapter 26 - Bothersome but Necessary

Amber's POV:

He had no mercy. Each of my muscles burned with exhaustion, as I dodged attack after attack. Dirt coated my clothes and face, and I cussed at the discomfort of my sweaty body as it cling to my garments. The explosions around me however were enough to help me cope.

"Never take your eyes of the enemy!" The Hokage growled, sending another wave of kunai-blades my way. "And if you can't see them, use your ears!"

He didn't have to tell me that, I was already completely aware. Lord Third didn't wear his usual garments during our training sessions; he would leave his robe and hat in his office to keep them clean. When we trained he wore his ninja gear and armor from back in his youth; back from the time he himself participated in missions and battle.

I held my arms above my head to shield myself from the raining chunks of stone. So far I've been a bit disappointed with our lessons. He wasn't telling me anything I didn't already know.

After some time, the Hokage called for a break, and I happily obliged. He handed me my water canteen from the ground, and took a swig of his own. Placing my hands atop my hips, I took time to catch my breath and replenish my chakra.

"Hey old man?" The Hokage shifted, and look at me with a hard stare, obviously not appreciating being called old. "You can be certain that I am grateful to you, for taking off time from your schedule to instruct me. However, if it is not too, bold of me to say, you have yet to teach me anything that I am not aware of already. May I ask when you will teach me something new?"

The Hokage lit his smoke pipe and took a puff. I waited patiently for his response as he blew the vile smoke into the air. After another puff or two I began to wonder what he was thinking, or if he even heard what I said.

I opened my mouth to speak when he raised his hand to silence me. "You have learned to use you ears when you are blind but can you use your eyes when you are deaf, or your touch when every other sense has been compromised?" There was no need to respond when he already knew the answer.

"And just how do you plan to terminate all audible sound from my ears?" I asked dubiously, taking another refreshing drink to my lips.

He didn't answer, he merely got up and said we'd continue training tomorrow. Normally, we'd train till noon, but he seemed to have different plans. For now he claimed he had someone he'd like me to meet.

Curious. Who would the Hokage want to introduce me to?

Halfway into our walk I came to the conclusion that we were indeed heading back to his office. On the way there I attempted to pry the information of the identity of the one the Lord Third wished for me to meet. Alas, I only managed to figure out that it was a man, and one highly respected by the Leaf Shinobi.

The Hokage held open the door for me, allowing me through first, only to come face to face with a large man with 2 scars that ran down his face. He wore a long black trench coat that cloaked most of his body. Only the front remained open enough to reveal a grayish coat-like dress-shirt. His bandana covered the entire top of his head, and dark blueish-grey gloves that held the same hidden leaf symbol as his headband.

 His bandana covered the entire top of his head, and dark blueish-grey gloves that held the same hidden leaf symbol as his headband