Chapter 16 - Heart Of Red & Gold

Sasuke's POV:

Damn that idiot. Naruto never did know how to keep his mouth shut, but I thought he would at least have the smallest fraction of common sense not to pull something like that. Is that loser really that oblivious?

I've been out all night searching for her, yet she wasn't anywhere to be found.  It's not like I'm worried or anything, I just don't think she should be out alone with Zabuza hunting us down.

'Where are you?' I wondered.

Amber's POV:

I hadn't slept that night. The fear of nightmares was enough, to keep me awake till morning. Unfortunately, the feeling of danger never left me. Ever a since yesterday morning, I've had this small voice in the back of my mind telling me of an approaching threat to be aware of. Today it's grown stronger- louder, than it was before.

Thinking it was about time I head back to the others, I took a look around before I had finally realized...I was lost. Keeping calm, I climbed the large trees beside, knowing it's best to get an aerial view of the area.

My eyes widened. There was nothing but trees as far as I could see. Panic slowly began to creep under my skin. A bead of sweat ran down the side of my face as the danger warning grew more and more insistent.

Dropping down from the tree I paced. Had I really run that far? But that's impossible. What do I do? I don't know what to do! Zabuza should be fully recovered by now. But Kakashi is still weary from overusing his Sharingan. Shit!

The heavy memory of the strings visions loomed over me. For a brief moment of desperation, I looked up cursing at the sky's.

"Come on!" I shouted to myself, disturbing the birds in the trees. "I need the strings to know what to do! Stop being such a coward!"

As if on cue, the color of the area drained, and the mysterious threads hovered before me. There was no hesitation left in my bones. No feeling of fear, or echo of restraint. Only determination had me in its arms, now. With a serious look, I reached out to the black string.

Kakashi's POV:

Amber never came back to the bridge builders home that night. I knew she was upset, but I didn't think Naruto and Inari's argument had gotten to her that much. I was worried that maybe Zabuza could have gotten to her, but deep down I knew it would be a good thing if he did, because I wouldn't be there to stop her from killing him.

Amber isn't heartless. In fact it's because she cares so much that she's willing to kill to keep those she holds close to her from danger. She's willing to sell her soul, so we wouldn't have to.

I recall the memory of her fight- more like near slaughter- of those two ninja on the journey to the land of water. When she saw Naruto hurt, something in her snapped. It was as if an over flowed jar cracked, and leaked the hidden horror of her very self. There's no worrying of her capture.

With training finished, half of Team seven, apart from Amber and Naruto, were going to protect the bridge builder as he finished his work. Sadly, the moment we stepped onto the bridge, it was obvious today's job wouldn't be as easy as we hoped.

Tazuna's men were all knocked unconscious, and left to lay on the ground. A thick mist rolled in clouding my vision. This wasn't good.

Amber's POV:

Pulling away from the final string, I loosed a breath, running a hand through my raven hair. There was a lot I had learned. Not only about what's to come but also about how these damn things work.