Chapter 12 - Enemy Encounter

Amber's POV:

Since arriving at the Hidden Leaf, I've developed a mental map of the village, and learned all the secret short cuts, and all the in's and out's of the paths. It had come in handy right then.

After speaking to the Hokage, I needed a little free time to clear my head, so in my idiotic daze, I ended up on the opposite side of the village. A long ways away from Kakashi's house.

Kakashi was waiting for me outside the house by the time I got back. He didn't seem, too happy.

"Where have you been?" He inquired, trying his best to seem indifferent.

"I treated myself to a little stroll," I replied.

It wasn't a lie, but not the complete truth, either. I hated lying to Kakashi, but I didn't want to tell him I was being so emotional. That's just embarrassing.

"We were supposed to meet up with the others over a half hour ago!" He scolded.

I knew he wasn't angry. He can't be angry when I gave him a valid excuse to be late.

Ignoring him, I pushed past him and quickly got packed. Although it was only a C ranked mission, my paranoia got the better of me.

I kept thinking, 'What if someone tries to rob us?' Or, 'What if we get lost and need to survive on what we have?'

With all the irrational scenarios dancing through my head, I packed all the weapons that would fit in my black carry-on bag. Then, moved on to store hidden blades in my clothes, and leg pack.

Kakashi's voice sounded from the doorway. "You know you don't need all of that, right? It's only a C rank."

Turning around to look at him, I saw Kakashi leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed. In his eye, I saw that all to familiar sparkle of his. The one that told me he's waiting for my answer.

So, I responded with the most logical answer I could. "You can never be, too careful."

With that, I returned my attention to my packing. I had an itch Naruto was going to do something stupid to hurt himself, so I packed a first aid kit. Even though I could clearly see Kakashi's attached to his back pack.

'That's right. Can never be, too careful.'

--------Time Skip--------

Amber's POV:

The moment we stepped outside the village gate, a danger warning whispered in the back of my thoughts. Thinking it was just nerves, I brushed it off, and did my best to ignore it.

"Amber?" Kakashi called suddenly. "You okay?"

"Fine, why?" I narrowed my eyes to him.

Sasuke cut in. "You seem a bit distracted."

I only shrugged, but the weird feeling in my stomach was distracting. That same whisper got just the slightest bit louder, but it made me all the more annoyed.

With a grumble, I stopped Kakashi. He gave me a questioning look, but I simply ignored it and hopped onto his back. A break from walking should do some good. With that in mind, I decided to rest my eyes, but I was still fully aware of my surroundings.

"What are you doing?" He huffed.

Remaining indifferent, I mumbled, "Getting a piggy-back, what do you think?"