Chapter 18 - The Nine-Tails Release

Amber's POV:

No matter how much I hate it. No matter how much I wish to stop it. He had to die.

Kakashi continued to fight Zabuza as I kept track of Fate's Strings. If I was going to have this damned curse I might as well call it something. The gold remained in the middle of the other two, keeping me relaxed for the most part. But that didn't last long.

A large amount of chakra broke through the air, rupturing my hope of Sasuke's survival. A shriek of inhuman origin split my ear drums, further adding to my worry.

Sakura's eyes bulged. "What was that?" She whimpered, tightening her grip on the kunai at her hand.

"Stay here," I ordered, sprinting to the boys' sides.

As I passed, I somehow managed to lock eyes with Kakashi, concern evident on his face. A silent conversation was made between us in those short moments before he nodded, and directed his attention back towards his opponent.

What I had seen next, wasn't all too reassuring. Red chakra swirled through the air around Naruto. Beside him lay Sasuke on the floor. The blonde boy whirled around to face Haku. His eyes flashed red as he bared his canines to the enemy. While the chakra dissipated, Naruto's sinister appearance remained.

Down on all fours, Naruto charged. In a panic, Haku decided to throw his needles in hope of stopping him, but a single mighty roar sounded from the enraged boy, blasting the useless tools aside. Even Haku's ice mirrors began to crack.

To my surprise, Haku had again thrown several of his needles, succeeding at impaling my teammate. But his victory was short lived. Fluctuating his chakra, Naruto had shot the needles from his body, though nearly hitting me in the process.

Naruto's chakra was increasing in power by the second, and the air had grown so dense, it felt as if I were walking in water. It was damn near impossible to approach him. This was getting to dangerous to allow to drag on. I had to stop it while I could.

"Naruto!" I cried out, but to no avail.

My friend, being so far gone, couldn't hear me. Even as I desperately called out his name, he continued to try and hit the young rogue.

Was this how it was supposed to happen?

Without hesitation, I forced the strings to my command. The golden string still remained in its place, but sadly that didn't make me feel any better. I waved my hand over the strings, in vexation, dispelling them from view.

'Fine,' I thought solemnly. 'I'll play it your way.'

Another burst of chakra tore through the air, as the remains of Haku's ice mirrors rained from above. With all that had distracted me, I just barely had the time to react, before a large piece of the ice mirror sliced through my back, only just narrowly missing my spine. If it had severed my spinal cord I would, no doubt, have been a goner. Though that thought didn't necessarily stop the pain.

I fell to one knee, coughing up a mouth full of blood. My hands trembling, I wiped the blood trickling down my chin. Completely removing the shard from my back could increase the risk of blood loss, so instead I decided to brake off the half that was still protruding from my back.

There was still the chance the shard that remained in my back could sever a nerve, so, I would have to be careful not to move around, too much. Although it burned and ached, I couldn't allow the pain to stop me from keeping the others safe. I wouldn't allow it.