Chapter 20 - Scars

Kakashi's POV:

Her back was drenched in so much blood, I was surprised she was still breathing at all, especially after transferring so much chakra to Sasuke.

"Amber!" Naruto cried out, his eyes huge with fear.

Careful not to open her wound any further, I tour her shirt open, exposing her injured back. My eyes went big, not only at the sight of the large gash in her flesh, but the countless scars that riddled her skin.

For a moment, I was, too caught up in shock I forgot what I was doing, but quickly came back to my senses. Examining the torn flesh across her back, I couldn't help but wonder how in hell she had still stood at all. Or how she walked around as if it weren't there.

'She's developed a tolerance,' a small voice said. 'She can take the pain.'

I shook my head, trying to clear it. As possible as it may be, I didn't want to believe that, nor did I want it to be true. I stared down at my injured student, my eye filled with sadness, and worry.

"K-Kakashi-sensei?" Naruto stuttered. "Is she going to be okay?"

I sighed. "She'll be fine Naruto, but we'll need to get her treated, and quickly."

Naruto nodded his understanding, looking back down at Amber. Being as discreet as possible, I used my body to shield her back in order to hide her scars. If she hadn't told us, I'm sure she'd rather not want anyone knowing. It was best to keep it secret for now.

Treating her would be difficult. There was no way I had the supplies to help her hear, so I knew I had to bring her back the the Bridge Builder's place. Even so, that could be a danger to her. One wrong move, and I could kill her.

Ripping off a large piece of cloth from my under shirt, I applied pressure to her injury, hoping to slow- if not stop -the bleeding.

"Naruto." He turned to me at my call. "I'm going to need your help."

Amber's POV:

Pain. Constantly, in this awful stillness, all I felt was pain. All of the old aches, burns, and gashes in my flesh, bleed anew, and all I could do was lay there.

Where was I? Was I dead? I ... I'm scared.

That's the thing. I'm always scared. As much as I hated to admit it, I have always been afraid. Of betrayal. Of loss. Of failure.

And of the darkness. Not of the darkness, but more so of what was hiding there.

That's what this blackness always made me feel, because there was nothing to do in this gloom, except think about what they did to me.

Worthless. A word they used a lot.

Mistake. Another clever name they gifted me with.

Pathetic. The truth.

A lump formed in my throat, as a single traitorous tear escaped my eye. Their words echoed in my mind, over, and over again, with the horrific memories not far behind.