Chapter 28 - A Day of.. What?

Amber's POV:

My chest was heavy, dreading that I might catch a glance of Sasuke in the street as I walked. The wind whipped my hair out to the side, tearing it away from my face.

'Kakashi will know,' I thought. He always seems to be able to tell when something serious is bothering me, or when I'm acting stranger than usual. 'What will I tell him? I'll have to lie of course, but what can I say to knock him off the scent?'

Such thoughts were what made me all the more thankful that the Hokage told the Anbu to stay behind and wait for him. Apparently to him, it was obvious as to how uneasy they made me feel. He said I was lucky they didn't see me in that hidden room of his, else I'd have to explain myself to them, too.

I heaved a heavy sigh and rubbed my eyes. What I needed right now was a distraction. Something that'll make me forget, at least for a time. Usually my first go-to option would be to train, but the Hokage had forbidden me from doing so for the day to let my body heal.

The soreness was actually pretty painful, and if I were to go into the Chunin Exams like this? Hell I wouldn't last five minutes. Besides, the Third Hokage had to focus all his attention on the Exams preparations from now on. Although it was disappointing, I didn't have much a choice on the matter.

"Hey Amber!" I heard a voice shout from behind me. I turned to see it was the very distraction I was looking for.

"Naruto! How wonderful it is to see you!" I mused, genuine glee in my voice.

"Where have you been?" He asked. "You've missed lots of training sessions with Kakashi Sakura and I!"

I snickered at the fact he left out Sasuke. "I've been training with the Hokage the past week to prepare for the Chunin Exams."

"So you are taking the exams! Ha! Sasuke owes me 10 yen!"

My eye twitched. Sasuke was seriously talking smack about me behind my back? I thought that duck-butt would at least have the common decency to say it to my face. Jackass.

Naruto's voice drew me from my thoughts once more. "So you doing anything right now? Wanna go train?"

"I'm terribly sorry, Naruto. The Hokage has forbidden me from training any longer." I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. "Supposedly I have pushed myself a tad too far."

Naruto laughed. "Then why don't we have some fun today!"

I blinked at him. "A-A day of fun...?"

"Yeah!"

Now that I thought about it, I hadn't really had a single day to really lay back and relax since coming back from the Land of Waves. I've either been training, studying, or out on those stupid missions Kakashi assigns us, like weeding some random woman's garden.

Although just doing something without reason other than personal enjoyment was a foreign concept to me, the thought alone was enough to bring a joyous smile to my face. Naruto always manages to make me smile no matter what issues I may be dealing with.

So with my decision made, Naruto and I did just that and had a whole day of fun. We pulled some pranks, ate some ramen, told funny stories, and at some point even met up with our other two teammates. I was happy to find it wasn't as hard to look at Sasuke as I thought it would be. Buti realized something.

I was happy.

I happy to be having fun with my friends. Even with the dark shadow of the future hanging over me.

Kakashi's POV:

I watched my four students from the rooftops laugh, and tease each other as they enjoyed the village market. The occasional quarrel here and there left me shaking my head, only to have me laugh as they pretended it never happened. But what I focused on most was Amber.