Chapter 27 - Trust & Suspicions

Amber's POV:

No, there was no way. There was no way I could just except something like this.

It was a windy day in Konoha, with the streets just as busy as always. The air was filled with the cool, and refreshing scent of morning dew, that had yet to be purged by the sun's harsh glare. Though the atmosphere held a bitter tone with the thoughts coursing through my head.

It was around eight in the morning, when I was on my way back from Lord Thirds office. After a long and haunting conversation; and an inconceivable discovery.

I never thought I'd find what I did, when I strode into his office that morning...

~FLASH BACK~

I now had only two days till the Chunin Exams would begin. I had been making lots of progress with Lord Thirds new training regiment, and thoroughly threw myself into my studies. Learning new techniques, Jutsus, interrogation tactics, and even new herbal remedies for illness, and infections.

Every second I wasn't training felt like an eternity of wasted time. Hence why I was knocking on the door of the Hokage's office so early, a large pack of scrolls in hand.

The Kage's voice called out from the other side. "Enter." His voice was low, raspy, and obviously still in the fatigue of his morning drowsiness. He probably hadn't woken up, too long ago.

Accompanied by the creak of the door, I stepped into the room. The smell of pipe smoke, chamomile tea, and aftershave were the first to welcome me. The next was all the Anbus' Chakra presence.

Normally they'd hide it, however after my first encounter with them, it was made clear to me, they wanted me to know full well they were watching. They didn't trust me, but then again most of the villagers didn't trust me either. I suppose it was understandable.

Some random girl appears out of no where, doesn't tell them where she's from, is without a last name, and threatening the Hokage that one time didn't help ease that distrust either. Of course I would arouse suspicion.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't sting a little.

"Lord Third," I greeted with a curt nod, clearing my head of the thoughts that plagued me but moments before.

The Hokage lifted his gaze from his papers a gentle and joyous smile spread across his face bringing out his wrinkles. His smile always seemed to rekindle what missing warmth I had. "Ah, Amber, Good morning! Please have a seat wherever you'd like. And excuse the mess. I'm afraid three back to back S-Rank missions result in large sums of paperwork."

He chuckled to himself, as he fumble to make order on his disaster of a desk. I moved the papers from the cushioned arm-chair adjacent to his work table, placing them in front of the old man. Taking a seat, I winced at the soreness of my muscles, legs trembling as I finally let myself practically fall into the chair.

Five days of vigorous non-stop training worked my body to the point were I could feel my aching in my damn sleep. Though I knew I couldn't stop, less I wanted to fail the exams.

"Forgive me, I realize the hour," I started. "However I thought it only logical to get started on my training early to squeeze as much in as possible."

I awaited his response and was surprised to hear but a laugh in return. Why was he laughing?

"My dear, while training is important, as is your mental, and physical health," he chortled out. "Do you think I didn't notice your difficulty sitting down? If you keep working your body like this, you will be in no condition for the exams."