Chapter 3 - Genin

Amber's POV:

My night was without sleep. I decided to pass the time by studying my scrolls. It was better than staring off into space, and allowing any chance for old memories to resurface.

I studied most of the night... that is, until I felt a familiar throb in my head. I panicked. The last time this had happened, it was incredibly painful. And the discomfort afterwards was just as bad.

I closed my eyes and put my hand atop my temple, hoping that the throbbing would fade. Sure enough, it did. Unfortunately, when I opened my eyes, I found three glowing string-like materials floating in front of me.

I froze in place. I did not understand what was happening. All I knew for certain was that I was frightened.

They were all connected to the ends of each other, and moved as if a draft was blowing. Each one was about as long as my arm. Two of the strings were white, but the other was black. The white string in the middle seemed fairly thicker than the others, and glowed brighter as well. I was unsure why, but I felt a strange pull to them.

I swallowed hard, as I reached out and touched the thickest string. A tingling sensation rushed up my arm, and I gasped as white clouded my vision... just like before.

I saw the grey haired man once again, standing in a tree above Naruto and Iruka-sensei. Naruto cried out as the man revealed everything. He had told Naruto the reason this village hated him. The man told him it was because of what he was, the Nine-Tails Jinjuriki.

My blood began to boil. I tried to take a step forward from where I stood, but I couldn't move nor could I speak. Although it hadn't happened yet, I felt the atmosphere shift as I realized the nameless man's malicious intent.

With Naruto distracted, he threw a large shirikun. Iruka-sensei leaped in front of Naruto in order to protect him and got hit in the process.

I tried to scream, call for help, or something, but every time I tried, my voice did not come. I knew I wasn't there. I knew this wasn't real. But I hated to watch.

The vision suddenly grew hazy for a moment. After it cleared, I saw Naruto running through the forest with the large scroll bound to his back. And again, the grey-haired man chased after him. Iruka-sensei followed as well.

I saw Iruka-sensi transform into Naruto. The the man didn't seem to notice, as he had stopped following Naruto, and began racing after Iruka-sensei. To trick 'Naruto'--whom was actually Iruka-sensei-- into giving him the scroll, the grey haired man transformed into Iruka-sensei.

Naruto hid behind a tree and cried as the grey haired man spat insults and false accusations about him. To see Naruto in tears enraged me. Naruto had such a kind heart that it made me want to maim the damned man who harmed him.

To my surprise, Iruka-sensei actually ended up acknowledging Naruto's hard work and dedication as a Leaf shinobi. This caused Naruto to attack the grey-haired man to protect Iruka-sensei.

Countless Shadow clone copies of Naruto surrounded the man. I held my breath in anticipation...

The vision abruptly faded. I felt sweat cascading down my back, but ignored it. I looked at the two thinner glowing strings and reached out for both, one at a time.

In one of the visions, everything was just about the same...

Only difference was that Iruka-sensei died.

In the other, it was Naruto that died. I pulled away from the black string, the one that showed Naruto's death.

The strings vanished, and I was left in the dark once more. My throat had run dry. I was unsure as to what had happened. I looked to my right and saw the sun rising along the horizon. I immediately decided that I would find out what had happened later.