Chapter 25 - Friend or Foe?

Amber's POV:

My muscles ached and my clothes were damp with sweat. I shuffled my feet across the ground trying not to collapse where I stood. It wasn't noticeable when I moved, but when I stood still, my limbs shook with the exhaustion of the workout I did with Lord Third.

It was already around 1 am by the time I got back to Kakashi's house. None of the lights in the house were on, leading me to believe Kakashi was already asleep. At least that's what I thought.

The kitchen light turned on, revealing my guardian, fuming at its thresh-hold. His clothes were wrinkled, and his hair was unkempt. And by that I mean more than usual, as though he'd been messing with it. He clenched his fists at his sides. I don't think I've ever seen him so angry.

"Where have you been?" Kakashi asked through gritted teeth.

A feeling of nervousness sizzled in my chest, as I stiffened at his tone. Even so, I kept a straight face.

"Out." I said simply.

"Out where!?" He growled.

Something told me he didn't take kindly to that answer.

He took two large, dominating, steps toward me, and my eyes widened. As he approached me, a flash of my step father flickered in Kakashi's silhouette. Everything came flooding back, and all too quickly. I took several steps back stumbling over my own feet, and stopping only once my back had hit the wall with a slight thump.

"I'm sorry..." My words were so quiet it was almost a whisper.

Kakashi froze where he stood. With my heart thundering in my ears, I kept my gaze on the wood floors, as I clenched my fists as tight as I could, hoping to stop their trembling.

'He's not him,' I repeated to myself, still leaning on the wall. 'He's not him, he's not him, he's not him...'

Kakashi's POV:

What have I done. The second I strode toward her, fear shone in her eyes and it struck my heart like an axe to wood. She leaned against the wall, her chest silently, rising and falling, rapidly. She was practically hyperventilating.

"I'm sorry..." She had said it so quietly, I almost didn't here her.

I heard her swallow, and I could have sworn she was whispering something under her breath. Though I couldn't tell whether that was her breathing or her actually saying anything.

"A-Amber..." I sighed. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean..." I thought about getting closer to her but I couldn't. Not now. At the moment, I could tell she felt like an animal backed into a corner. If I were to approach her now, she may just feel the need to defend herself. But she looked so pitiful it was hard to hold back from doing so.

"Look, it's just... I had looked everywhere for you. You faint while training then the second you wake, you leave, and you don't come back! I'm your assigned Guardian," I continued unflappably, taking a few steps away from her. "It's my responsibility to keep you safe, but I can't do that if you don't tell me where you're going."

There was a moment of silence. Only the ticking of the clock filled the empty space. I ran my hands through my hair for about the five millionth time that day, and leaned against the door frame, heaving a sigh.

Amber's POV:

Neither of us spoke for a while. Kakashi was most likely waiting for my response. But I didn't really have one. There wasn't really anything I could think of to say.

Now that I thought about it, it wasn't really fair of me to have done that to him. At the time, my mind was so foggy and in such panic I didn't really take his feelings or responsibilities into account.