Chapter 17 - The Killing Calm

Third Person POV:

From here on, you must be left with warning.

Those who are wise, know that anger fogs the mind. It tampers with your train of thought, not allowing you to think clearly, nor rationally. One who happens to fall into the bowels of rage, are blinded by its malice, and violent emotion. So, would not keeping one's composure be all the more dangerous?

If one's rage manifested into a composed animosity, the restraint on their power would shatter. Leaving the one filled with wrath the ability to sore beyond their limitations.

The rarity of this skill is one that cannot be learned, but gifted to by the gods. Those who know the myth call it...

The Killing Calm.

Amber's POV:

He was a dead man walking. I didn't know what he saw to scare him thirty yards away from me, but as long as he knew the threat I was to him, I didn't bother to wonder. For the first time in my life, I was finally feeling the rage that lay dormant deep within me. The rage that I never allowed to escape till, now.

When my foster parents beat, and tortured me, I never fought back. I took the pain. As I was scarred, burned, and poisoned, I never fought back, because I knew. If I had, it would have made me no better than the monsters that they were. It would have made me as much of a monster by hurting them. That's the reason why I didn't care if I had died at their hands. Because if I did, I would still have won.

Why is now so different?

Is it not obvious? It's no longer me being hurt. I never cared if harm came to me. There was no way my heart could break, when it was already shattered by the betrayal of those I had come to trust. But to watch another I care for hurt. It made the raging fury burn me inside out.

"What the hell are you?" Zabuza croaked, raising his large sword in front of him in defense.

I didn't answer. My face remained impassive, for I truly didn't give two heaping shits anymore. The only thing I cared for, now, was just how brutally I could kill this bastard of a man.

I take a step. Sending chakra through my legs, I used that single step to propel me straight into the rogues gut, kicking up junks of rock in my wake. He was blasted back into the bridge railings, coughing up blood at impact of both my fist and the railing. No matter how hard I had hit him, then, only six of his ribs had broken. I wasn't satisfied.

Zabuza stood smirking and muttering to himself, as he wiped the blood from his chin. "This bitch is stronger than she looks."

The rogue took up defenses, and I made a move to charge. A sudden weight landed upon my right shoulder, stopping me in my tracks. There was no need to turn around, seeing as I could already smell the reek of his blood.

"Remove yourself, Kakashi." I didn't bother to show any emotion, already to drowned in my dangerous calm.

"Amber, you need to think." He said cautiously. "The boys are trapped and they'll need your help. I don't think they can hold out much longer."

"They are your students, Kakashi. You must put more faith in their abilities."

Even as I made that claim, I could feel his grip on my shoulder tighten. He wasn't going to allow me to fight Zabuza any further.

My eyes never left the rouge who had the nerve to call himself a ninja. But as Kakashi's grip had tightened, the strangely calm wrath, faded. My sense of humanity seeped back into my mind, as I inhaled a sharp breath to calm the remaining fractions of my anger.