chapter two

Harry Styles

After saying goodbye to my mother and packing a small bag of toiletries and a matching set of pajamas, Carmen, Amelia and I all make our way to Carmen's white chevy Malibu. I sit in the passenger seat and Amelia sits in the back, texting her sort-of-but-not-really-that-serious-girlfriend who is also a student at Temple University.

"Sophie says hi." Amy mutters from the backseat, making me smile. I am glad to see Amelia finally opening up to dating after her last relationship. (She dated a girl for two years and then found out she had been cheating on her for most of it. I'm not a violent person, but I was very tempted to slap Brittany in the face after I found out what she did.)

"Hi Sophie." Carmen and I both say in unison, making us giggle as she pulls into Amy's drive way. Her mom's car is still parked out front which makes me nervous all over again. I'm a terrible liar—I get all sweaty and anxious when I tell a fib.

"Are you sure this is going to work? What if Kristen comes home early from work and finds out we left? She could call your mom and then she'll call my mom and I'll be grounded for a month!" I ramble, my thoughts consuming me as Carmen turns the car off and faces me.

"Calm down, Haz. It's gonna be fine! We don't even have to say anything. Just tell her have a good night at work and then we can go upstairs and get ready for the party, okay?" She bums and I nod slowly, licking across my plump bottom lip.

"Okay. Let's go." I say softly, grabbing my Vans backpack and climbing out of the car, walking up the front steps and following the two girls into the house. Kristen is standing in the foyer in her work uniform, looking in the mirror as she puts her earrings in.

"Hi, girls! And Harry." She smiles at me and I return it, although I quickly look down because my cheeks start to twitch.

"Hey, mom. We're gonna go upstairs, okay? They're spending the night." Amy says and Kristen nods, grabbing her purse off of the vanity.

"Alright. There's plenty of snacks and food in the fridge. Help yourselves to anything. I'll be back at seven. Love you." She says before grabbing her keys and rushing out the front door, leaving the three of us alone in Amy's house.

"Alright! Time for a make-over!" Amy squeals, grabbing my hand and dragging me upstairs to her room.

"What about this?"

"Absolutely not." I hiss, staring at the black strip of cloth that Amy tried to call a crop top. It probably wouldn't even cover her boobs.

Amy huffs, tossing the black strip on the floor before reaching into her closet and grabbing a pair of dark black skinny jeans with holes and rips all down the front. They were kind of cute, but not what I typically wear.

"What about these?" She asks hopefully.

"Oh, those would look great on you, Haz!" Carmen giggles from the vanity, where she is straightening her thick brown hair.

"Are you sure?" I ask quietly, nibbling on my bottom lip again. It is a nervous habit I have yet to kick. "Those look kind of small, and you know I have thick thighs."

"Your thighs are perfect, babe. Seriously. And these are stretchy so it doesn't even matter. Just go try them on for me? Please?" Amy begs and gives me those puppy dog eyes. I give in and take them from her, feeling the material between my fingers. It's soft like leggings and I decide it might not be too bad. I stand up and make me way to the adjacent bathroom, not bothering to close the door because they've both seen me naked before.