chapter twenty three

y'all i had to reread my entire story just to remember what happened and omg... so many plot holes im so sorry 💀💀 imma do my best to make up for it all lmao

Zayn Malik

"O-Oh my god! I am so sorry!" Harry stutters, covering his mouth with his petite hand. I look down at my shirt, watching a few beads of the foamy purple liquid drip down the dark fabric. I wrinkle my nose, but seeing Harry's blushing and embarrassed face keeps me from getting upset.

"It's okay... not like this was my favorite shirt anyway." I shrug, running my fingers through my hair. The ends felt a little dry because of the bleach and dye. I shouldn't have dyed the ends green so soon after bleaching them, but changing my hair is what I do when I'm going through it.

And what I did to Harry has been putting me through it for sure.

"B-But... it's ruined." Harry whispers, hesitantly pointing to the stained fabric. "I really didn't mean to." He says sincerely, looking up at me with those giant bambi eyes.

I swallow thickly, ignoring the way my stomach flutters at the sight of his flushed face gazing up at me like that. It was forcing all sorts of thoughts into my head that I didn't want to be having at a time like this, or in a place like this either.

I felt weird being back in high school after so many years. I was technically a super-senior because I chose a five year program for a Bachelor of Science in Biology, and a Program Science Master in Scientific Writing.

Kind of regret it, kind of don't.

I've noticed that adult life consists of kind-of-regrets and meaningless mistakes...

And I've made too many meaningless mistakes when it comes to Harry.

"I-I know you didn't. It's fine. Really." I chuckle, raising my hand instinctively to pet his curls, but I decided at the last moment to keep my distance.

He made it hard for me to control myself, but I can't blame him for what I did. That's exactly what got me into this mess to begin with. I just never want to see that look on his face again... like he was truly frightened of me.

Instead I drop my hand to the back of my own neck and offer him an honest smile to show him I wasn't upset. "No big deal."

"Okay." He mumbles quietly and looks down at the drink in his hands.

"Is it really that bad?" I ask, grabbing the cup from Harry's small hands and bringing it to my lips.

"I wouldn't do tha-" I cut him off after taking a large gulp, the disgusting combination of flavors immediately making my stomach churn in an unpleasant way. I wrinkle up my face and cover my mouth, feeling like I was going to throw up.

I force myself to swallow the sugary liquid, shivering violently. "That's fucking disgusting." I cough, looking down at the drink in disgust.

I hear muffled laughing and I smile slightly at the sight of Harry trying to cover up his giggles. I notice the dimples in his flushed cheeks and instinctively smile back.

"I-I tried to warn you," Harry snickers, "You should have seen your face! You look like you had a frog in your mouth." Harry finally bursts out laughing, holding his stomach and bending over like it was the funniest thing he's ever seen.

"The only frog I want in my mouth is you." I whisper flirtatiously without even thinking, kind of embarrassed that was my first response.

I can see pink blossom across his cheeks before he looks up at me, blinking those giant green eyes.