chapter twenty four

Harry Styles

I open my eyes but immediately regret it at the sight of bright white lights staring back at me. I squeeze my eyes shut again and turn my head to the side, reaching up to cover my eyes. I groan softly before slowly sitting up, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

I thought I was in bed, but then I hear the crinkle of paper beneath me and look down to see I'm laying on one of the flat green mattresses in the nurse's office.

I was about to call out for somebody when I hear muffled voices from behind the closed curtain beside me.

"Zayn? Isn't that the guy you were trying to date?"

"Yeah... well, no. We messed around a little bit, but he's made it pretty clear he's only interested in Harry now."

"So he's a player?"

"He's more than a player. He acts all charming and nice, but as soon as he gets what he wants, he acts like you don't even exist."

"You're pretty upset about it, aren't you?"

"Of course... I thought... I don't know what I thought. I just thought it'd be different with us, I guess."

"You can't expect to change people, Car."

"I didn't expect him to change... ugh, I just don't understand why he's so obsessed with Harry-"

"Because it's Harry... I mean, just look at him. He's beautiful, you can't deny that."

"You're not helping, Nick."

"I'm just saying. Besides, I agree with you. We have to keep Zayn away from Harry. I feel like he's gonna corrupt him."

"Oh, shut up. You just want Harry all to yourself."

"That too..."

I frowned at what I was hearing, and I couldn't bite my tongue anymore. I stood up, the paper crinkling loudly beneath me.

I pushed the curtain back and stared at my two "friends" intently.

"H-Haz, you're awake!" Carmen gasped, her cheeks flushed (probably from embarrassment of being caught talking about me, even though she should have expected this since I was literally two feet away).

"Yes, I'm awake... and I'm tired of this, Car. We're best friends, we're supposed to have each other's backs in these kinds of situations and instead you're talking shit about me to my other friends."

I notice Nick frown out of the corner of my eye, but I choose to ignore it.

"I wasn't talking shit, Harry. I just... I'm upset, okay? I was with Zayn... multiple times. I thought he was interested in me, he even started texting me during the week and not just on the weekend. Then all of a sudden, he meets you once and he can't be bothered to even text me back or glance my way anymore. I'm hurt, and it feels like you don't even care..."

I can't help the pang of guilt I feel in my chest, making me lower my head in shame. I was so busy being mad at Carmen for lying to me about what happened with Zayn that I really didn't try to understand how she was feeling. I feel like a horrible friend.

"I'm sorry, Car. I didn't mean to hurt you. I don't even know what's happening between me and Zayn, but I would never choose a guy over my friend. I promise you that." I say sincerely, grabbing her hand and squeezing it softly.

She offers me a sad smile before wrapping her arms around me and holding me against her chest tightly. "I love you, Haz." She whispers, rubbing my shoulder.