chapter eight

Harry Styles

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I groan loudly at the annoying buzzing noise coming from beside me, reaching up to rub my eyes sleepily. I roll over onto my stomach before grabbing my phone, my eyes fluttering open slowly.

2 New Text(s)

1:27 am
From Zayn: Hey

9:36 am
From Zayn: Good morning x

I blush at the text messages, glancing over at my two best friends who are passed out on the bed. I debate whether or not to reply right away, but the eagerness to talk to Zayn wins out and I can't help but replying right away.

9:37 am
To Zayn: Good morning! x

I lay back down, expecting to wait a few minutes for a response but instead, my phone buzzes again instantly.

9:38 am
From Zayn: You're awfully happy this morning.

9:40 am
To Zayn: I'm just happy I don't have a hang over.

9:41 am
From Zayn: Why would you? You drank like half a beer lol

9:43 am
To Zayn: Can't you just let me be happy?

9:44 am
From Zayn: I guess. Only because you're cute though.

"Who are you texting so early in the morning?" Amy asks from beside me, startling me and causing me to drop my phone on my face. I wince in pain as I pick it up, turning to glare at Amy as she laughs loudly.

"None of your business." I mutter before climbing off of the bed, stretching out my long limbs.

I walk to Amy's bathroom and shut the door, taking a piss while wondering how I should reply to Zayn's text.

However, before I can think of a response, Zayn texts me again.

9:56 am
From Zayn: We should meet up soon.

I bite my lip anxiously, setting my phone on the counter before flushing the toilet and washing my hands. I look in the mirror and run my fingers through my messy curls, sighing softly at my tired expression.

I want to hang out with him, but I also don't want to fight with Carmen anymore. Also, remembering what she told me about the drugs has sort of distorted my view of Zayn now that I've had time to think about it.

I like to see the good in people, and always give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but I also hate drugs and I don't think I could be friends with him while he's still involved with it. Even if he's not taking the drugs directly, his friends are. And you can tell a lot about people by who their friends are.

9:59 am
To Zayn: I don't know. I'm busy with school and Carmen told me to stay away from you.

I don't like throwing Carmen under the bus, but I also think that mentioning her name will persuade Zayn to tell me what went down between the two of them. I can tell it was something, and I hate secrets.

10:00 am
From Zayn: Don't let Carmen tell you what to do. You're an adult.

I frown at that and sigh softly, shaking my head. If only he knew that I was actually seventeen and technically not an adult yet.

10:01 am
To Zayn: She's my best friend and I trust her.

10:02 am
From Zayn: Has she even told you why she doesn't like me?

10:04 am
To Zayn: She said she saw you doing drugs before and I hate drugs.

10:05 am
From Zayn: I told you they weren't mine. And I don't have to explain myself to you.

I scoff at his response, rolling my eyes. I know it was a little inappropriate to bring up the drugs this early in the morning, and being basically strangers, but I just needed to know.

10:07 am
To Zayn: Well then I guess that's your answer. And we don't have to hang out.

10:08 am
From Zayn: That's a shame. We would have made good fuck buddies.

I have to admit that it hurts a little to hear him say that, especially because I thought he was actually interested in getting to know me.

10:09 am
To Zayn: Is that all you wanted from me?

My hands are shaking as I wait for his response. Carmen was right. Zayn was no good.

10:10 am
From Zayn: Yes lol. What did you think I wanted?

10:11 am
To Zayn: You said yesterday that you wanted to be friends.

10:12 am
From Zayn: Guess I forgot to mention the benefits part.

My heart nearly drops into my stomach and I have to physically grab onto the sink for support. I know we just met and I shouldn't be so affected, but I feel so... objectified. And betrayed. I'm so weird sometimes.

10:13 am
To Zayn: Well I'm not interested. Sorry.

10:14 am
From Zayn: Doesn't matter. It's not like I'm gonna chase after you.

10:15 am
To Zayn: I didn't ask you too.

10:16 am
From Zayn: Guess I'll go back to doing drugs and being a terrible person.

10:17 am
To Zayn: That's your choice. Goodbye.

10:19 am
From Zayn: Tell Carmen I said hi xx

I want to reply and tell him that he's gross or disgusting or that Carmen isn't interested, but I decide to be the bigger person and end the conversation. I think about blocking his number, but I can't bring myself to do it. So I just close out of my messages and walk back into Amy's room where Amy is half-asleep on her phone and Carmen is passed out beside her.

"I think I should get going. I have chores and stuff to do today." That's a lie, but they don't have to know that.

I'm honestly just not in the mood to socialize with anybody. I also don't want to face Carmen because I'll be tempted to bring up Zayn and I know it won't end well.

"Sure. You need a ride home?" Amy asks, looking up at me as I gather my things into my bag. I took off Amy's clothes last night when I changed into my pajamas, and I made sure to stuff Zayn's sweatshirt into my bag so I wouldn't forget it. (It was really cozy, okay?)

"Nah. I'm good to walk. I could use the fresh air." I say before waving and slipping on my shoes before leaving her room and walking downstairs. It'll be nice to clear my head for a little while and be by myself.

~

"Harry?"

I look up as I hear my mom's voice, followed by the sound of knocking.

"Come in." I call, looking back down at the book in my hands. I'm reading Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and it's amazing so far. The author is really funny.

My mom opens the door and looks around my room, presumably to make sure it's clean, before she finally settles on me. "Don't forget you have your college visit on Monday, okay?"

At the sound of my groan, my mom raises a sharp brow at me. "Don't groan at me. I know Temple is not your first choice, but you got accepted and I want you to examine all of your options before you choose one."

I nod obediently, "Okay, mom." I whisper, just to please her. I don't want her nagging me all day about it, so it's better to just accept that it's going to happen. I can't tell her that I really don't want to go because I was just there last night and I did not have a good time.

I could always 'accidentally' fall down the stairs and break my leg... Actually, my mom would probably just wheel me around in a chair all day if she had to.

This one is a little longer, but I hope you enjoyed.

Can you guess what's going to happen? *wiggles eyebrows*