chapter twenty eight

n e wayz tell me why i was feeling myself and then realized how big my forehead is 😐

—✧—

Harry Styles

"Can you tell me now?" I ask quietly, anxiously nibbling on my already bruised and swollen bottom lip. I've been assaulting it all day, so much that hard lumps have already formed in the delicate skin, making it even more painful.

Nevertheless, my nervous habit persists.

The impending date with Nick has had my stomach in knots all afternoon, even while I was visiting Gemma in the hospital. I could barely get the words out as I tried to read to her.

I don't know if it's from nerves or excitement, or if I'm still upset about the fight I had with my mom. All I know is that I need to get out of this car now.

"We're almost there, babe. Just be patient a little bit longer," Nick hums from the driver's seat, oblivious to the internal suffering that I am experiencing. He turns the car down yet another street and I groan in annoyance, crossing my arms over my chest and pouting quietly to myself as I stare out the tinted glass window. We've been driving for the better part of an hour and we've only just made it to South Philly.

I'm becoming restless.

There are potholes everywhere, the air stinks something rotten, I've had to pee since we got in the car, and Nick is playing some weird jazz station on the radio that is literally making my skin crawl.

So far, this is looking to be the worst date ever. Not that I've ever been on a proper date before but... that's besides the point.

"You're cute when you pout," I hear him whisper from the driver's seat, making my cheeks warm and redden. I glance over at him and shove his arm just gently, not wanting to interrupt his driving.

"Don't try to butter me up. When are we going to get there?"

He rolls his eyes playfully in response before leaning forward to glance through the windshield more closely. "Right about... now," he answers as he slows the car down, pointing towards the building we just pulled up beside. My eyebrows knit together in confusion as I follow his gaze, looking up at the huge neon sign.

"Silk City?" I read the neon words aloud before looking back over at Nick just in time for him to whip the car into empty parking spot

"Yup. I came here during the summer with some friends and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. And since I know how much you love music and food, of course, I thought this was the best place to take you on our first official date. I wanted to make it special," Nick explains as he parks the car and unbuckles his seatbelt, turning his body to face me.