Chapter One

Copyright © 2012 Lindsay Drummond

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

__________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

I didn't do one in the prologue, so I'm doing one now. Anyways, this is the final book in the series! Yay! Please comment because I read everyone and also please tell me scene ideas/conversations/plot ideas and I'll take them into consideration for adding them into the book!

Thanks SO much for reading and I hope you enjoy Rimery's journery! <3

__________________________________________________________________________

“I can’t believe you’re pregnant.”

Mary sighs noisily, gently stroking Patch’s neck. Early April is warming up, making it perfect riding weather to get Patch back to his normal, healthy self. I slow down Silver so he can keep up as we walk lazily across the grass fields.

“You’ve said that already,” I mutter back, squinting my eyes in the morning sun. “About fifty-three times to be exact.”

Mary rolls her eyes. “You’re making that number up.”

Subtly, I rest my hand on my stomach, wondering how I can possibly have a child starting to grow inside of me. It was a month ago that I told Emery and so far nothing’s changed. Physically, I feel exactly the same as I always have. Mentally, I’m constantly freaking out.

“It still gets my point across.”

“So you never told me,” Mary starts, changing the subject. “What did your parents say?”

I shudder as I remember how they first reacted. My mother started crying after the shock factor went away and my father couldn’t comprehend what I had just said. I bet for a moment he wanted to kill Emery, but quickly got over it when he realized that it’s partly his fault for bringing Emery here and letting him sleep in my room.

“My dad was really angry,” I mumble. “But I think it was mostly at himself for not seeing this coming. My mom was pretty upset but then she pushed it aside to help me through this.” Mary shakes her head for a moment and I give her a look. “What?”

“I just don’t understand,” she says, her voice a mixture between frustration and hurt. “You never told me that you were-“

“Don’t say it!” I snap, not allowing her to say the word. I don’t need anything else to make this seem more real for me or I’ll explode.

“River,” Mary sighs in annoyance. “What I’m trying to say is that I thought you would have told me. I’m your best friend.”

I narrow my eyes at her. “It’s not exactly something I want to talk about.” I give her a you-know-why look. “Besides, knowing you, you would freak out!”

Mary’s cheeks flush and she looks away from me. “Alright, alright, I get it. But when exactly did this happen? There was always so much going on.”

I think back to the few times Emery and I were actually alone, not fighting and actually being completely honest and loving to each other. “After Vince left but before he took me with him.” My voice cracks in the middle of the sentence as I talk about him. Sure, he’s a horrible person but he didn’t deserve what happened to him. No one does.