Chapter Nine

“She definitely has my nose,” I murmur, looking at the ultrasound pictures. Emery snatches one from my hand and looks at it closely.

“Ah, but she has my eyes.”

“Emery,” I sigh, rolling my eyes. I brush my hair out of my face as I lie on top of the hill that overlooks the farm. “How can you tell she has your eyes when we won’t know until she’s born? Besides,” I mumble, snatching the picture back. “Newborn babies have blue eyes for a few months before they change, if they do.”

“I meant shape wise,” Emery mutters, folding his arms behind his head.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better I think she has your lips.” Emery gives an over exaggerated smile and I laugh. Suddenly, Mary pulls into the driveway in her dad’s truck. Honestly, I’m extremely surprised that she’s even allowed to drive to my house since the mailbox incident last summer. I watch as she starts heading towards my house and cup my hands around my mouth. “Mary!” I scream and she jumps around, looking scared. Suddenly, the fear is replaced with some sort of worry as she runs towards me in her white, flowery summer dress.

“Hey guys,” she says in between breaths. She gives a small nod to Emery before pulling me to my feet by my hands. “River, can I talk to you for a second?” I don’t have much of a choice as she tugs me to the bottom of the hill, out of earshot for Emery. “Do you realize what tomorrow is?”

I try to think of what’s so important tomorrow, however I have no idea. With everything going on lately and my stomach growing, my head has been way too filled to remember something as simple as a date.

“No, I have no idea.” As soon as the words leave my mouth, Mary puts her hands on my shoulders and gives me a good shake. “Mary, what is it?”

“Emery’s birthday!” She whisper yells at me, smacking the top of my head. “You forgot?”

My eyes grow wide and my breath catches in my throat. Tomorrow is Emery’s eighteenth birthday; the exact day he gets the freedom to leave the farm if he chooses you. Plus, I haven’t even gotten him a present or even baked a cake.

“Oh my god!” I press my palm to my forehead and exhale noisily. “What am I going to do?”

“You mean,” Mary says, checking up the hill to make sure Emery hasn’t moved. “What are we going to do?” She gives a small smile before skipping up the hill, dragging me by my wrist. “I’m sorry, Emery,” Mary smirks, before I can object. “But River and I have to go into town to get some…” She pauses for a minute before coming up with a good excuse. “Baby stuff.

Emery sits up and gives us a strange look. “Shouldn’t I be there for that? To help?”

Mary’s mouth hangs open, trying to come up with a good excuse. Emery rises to his feet when I shrug, realizing I have to take the matter into my own hands.

“We need some girl time,” I smile and Emery rolls his eyes, knowing he wouldn’t want to be there for that.

“Well, have fun.” He kisses my lips and then my forehead before the three of us head down the hill together. Mary smacks my side and gives me a good job grin as she heads towards her truck. Emery heads towards the house as I run past him to grab my wallet in the kitchen. Once I’m back outside, he gives me a quick kiss on the cheek as I head towards Mary who’s waiting for me.

“Do you really think it’s a good idea that you drive?” I place my hands on my hips and give her a look. “I don’t want to have any more incidents.

Mary rolls her eyes and opens the driver’s door. “Oh come on, River. We both know that mailbox came out of nowhere.”

“Nowhere meaning the side of the road where you aren’t supposed to be driving,” I mutter, climbing into the passenger seat. “Just be careful, okay?”