Chapter Three

“He’s late,” Mary mumbles nervously, as we stand outside in her driveway waiting for the mystery guy. Mary insisted we stand while Emery gets to longue on the grass a few feet away. His arms are folded behind his head as he lies down with his eyes closed.

“How come Emery gets to sit?” I whine, folding my arms across my chest. We’ve been standing here for fifteen minutes because the boy she likes so much is ten minutes late.

“Because,” snaps Mary, smacking my arm. “I don’t care what Danny thinks to Emery. Although, it would be cool if they were friends.”

“Gee, thanks,” mumbles Emery, half awake. I thought he was already asleep but I guess it’s hard with the sun in your face.

Danny? So mystery boy has a name!”

Mary shoots me a look as she smacks me again. “His name is Daniel but I call him Danny.” I hold my hands up in front of me, willing her to calm down. Ever since we’ve been waiting Mary has been on edge. She must really like this Danny, because she’s extremely nervous just waiting for him. “How’s my hair?”

I roll my eyes and grab her wrists while her fingers try to fix her perfect hair. “Would you stop doing that? It’s fine. It has been fine every time you asked.” Mary wiggles out of my grasp and starts smoothing over her pale pink sundress.

“Fine doesn’t cut it, River,” she says sternly. “I need to be absolutely stunning.” I see Emery open his eyes slightly, peaking out. A smirk plays on his lips and I can tell he’s trying not to laugh at my torture. I shoot him a look and he grins, closing his eyes once again.

“You look absolutely stun-“ Mary cuts me off by slapping her hand over my mouth. I don’t even try to finish my sentence after the start of the word ‘stunning’ becomes muffled.

“Do you hear that?” She whispers, turning her head towards the road.

“Hear wha-“

“Shh!” Mary shushes me, tightening her grip on my mouth. Finally, I can hear the noise. It’s a low rumbling, coming from the left side of County Road Six. It’s clearly Danny as Mary unclasps my mouth and immediately goes into nervous overload. I wipe my mouth as she fixes her hair and smooth’s over her dress for the millionth time. When she’s done, she starts trying to fix me.

“Mary,” I whine, holding up my arms in front of my face until she stops trying to touch my hair. When she realizes she has no chance of trying to make me look as perfect as her, she turns to Emery.

“Emery!” She snaps, staring at him. He opens one eye and looks at her with an uninterested expression. “Get up!”

Emery closes his eye and smirks. “No, I’m good right here.”

“Emery!” Mary shouts. “Get the hell up!”

Emery instantly scrambles to his feet, staring at Mary with a shocked expression. She sounds like a complete maniac.

“I thought you don’t care about what this kid thinks of me,” he grumbles, walking towards us as he brushes himself off.

“I changed my mind,” Mary says, crossing her arms. Emery rolls his eyes as the rumbling noise of an incoming vehicle gets closer. “Oh my gosh!” She squeals, smacking my arm. “I’m so excited!” I start to rub my arm and Mary smacks me again as a navy car comes into view. “Stop touching your arm or Danny will think I abuse you.”

“But you do,” I mutter, dropping my hand as mystery boy pulls into the driveway. He grins at Mary, who looks like she might collapse at any given time. Once he’s out of the car and walking over, I question whether Mary is going to pass out or not.