Chapter Thirty-Three

After a painful hour and a half truck ride squished between my mother and Emery, we finally arrive at the hospital. My dad’s right behind us in his own truck since both of the vehicles only seat three, however my mother still chose to ride with me for comfort and I’m thankful.

Instantly I’m rushed into a labour room and put into an uncomfortable bed in a nightgown that makes me look much bigger than I actually am.

“You look great,” Emery murmurs, kissing my forehead as I pick at the clothing again.

“That’s what everyone keeps telling me,” I mutter as I roll over onto my side, shutting my eyes. As much pain as I’m in, I only know it’s going to get worse. So I snuggle my head deeper into the hospital pillow and hope that I’ll wake up when it’s time to push.

“I hope you don’t mind,” Emery says, climbing on the bed beside me. He brushes my hair out of my face and then drapes his arm over my side. “But I invited a few of my friends to wait in the waiting room.”

In too much pain to care, I just give a small shrug. He can invite his friends considering I invited Mary. My mom’s waiting outside the hospital for her right now. Since we’re only allowed three people or less in the delivery room, I chose Emery, of course, my mother and Mary. I wanted my dad too, but considering he’s looking pale already, he decided that it’s best if he waits outside. We wouldn’t want him passing out, after all.

“River!” Mary squeals, running into the room with open arms. She wraps me in a gentle hug and pulls back with a grin on her face. “How excited are you? You’re going to have a baby tonight!”

I roll my eyes, in no mood for her enthusiastic mood. I shoo her away with my hand I roll my face deeper into the pillow. For a while, nothing interesting happens. Emery lies on the bed beside me, cradling my hand and rubbing my back when the pain gets worse. Mary and my mom whisper excitedly in the corner, making sure to keep their voices down so I don’t have to listen to them.

“Hey, Emery,” Mary says cautiously as she walks back into the room. A few minutes earlier she had left to go to one of the vending machines. “Your friends are here.” I try to meet Mary’s eyes but she refuses to meet my gaze.

“Mind if I slip out for a minute?” Emery asks. When I shrug he kisses my forehead and heads out of the room. After he’s gone, Mary runs over to my bed and looks at me seriously.

“You knew Emery’s friends were coming, right?”

“Yeah,” I nod slowly, watching Mary closely. “Why? What’s wrong?” Mary avoids meeting my eyes again and stares out the window at the highway. “Mary,” I snap, grabbing her arm as I have another contraction. “What’s wrong?”

At the sound of my angry voice, Mary instantly looks at me, her face looking scared. “Well, everyone from your party is here but uh, I don’t know how you’re going to take this, but…” She trails off, staring at the floor again before taking a deep breath and meeting my eyes. “Alana’s here too.”

I instantly drop my hand and let it clench into a tight fist until my knuckles turn white. After everything that happened, after what I said to her when I showed up at her apartment, she still has the nerve to come here on the night Emery and I’s baby is going to be born?

“Get Raffie in here,” I snap, not intentionally trying to be mean to my best friend. Folding my arms across my chest, I sit up straight and brush my hair behind my ears.

“Are you sure you want him in here?” Mary looks at me but motions towards my mom with her eyes, who’s pretending not to be eavesdropping.

“Yes,” I tell Mary. Turning to my mother, I try to smile. “Can you go get me some water?”