Chapter Thirty-One

“Emery should be here soon,” my mother calls from the kitchen. I shrug in response, even though she can’t’ see it. I’m pretty sure she’s baking cookies. In fact, I think she’s already made two batches already. I guess when she’s depressed, she cooks. “Why don’t you come help me make?”

“No thanks,” I respond dryly, slumping on the couch, staring at the wall. It’s all I’ve done all day. Last night, I got zero sleep from crying all night. Now that I’m all cried out, there’s nothing else to really do but sit here and wait.

“River, just come help me.” I turn to see my mom standing in the doorway to the kitchen. She’s holding a spoon that has cookie batter stuck to it, but I can’t tell what kind it is. With a sigh, I rise to my feet and follow her into the kitchen. Leaning on the counter, she watches me closely as she frustrated stirs the cookie dough. “Can you get the milk out of the fridge?”

I trudge to get the milk and by the time I’m back, she’s asking me to get other things. I think this is her hopeless attempt to distract me from the fact that my dad and is friends are burying Patch without me, saying that it’s better for me not to see him this way.

“I’m sure Mary will be here soon,” my mother continues talking, but I’m only listening now that she mentioned Mary. “Maybe you both can go pick some wildflowers from that spot in the forest?” I shrug and she takes it as a yes.

I’m not sure how much time goes by when the back door swings open and Mary steps inside, wearing a pretty spring dress. It’s a light pink one that hangs just above the knee. Mine isn’t much different except for the fact that it’s white and had to be baggier than wanted because of my baby bump.

“Flowers?” I notice her eyes are red, but like me, she must be all cried out. Instead of being happy and cheerful as usual, her mood is a strange calm that doesn’t suit her.

“Sure, I mumble in response, opening a cupboard door. I look around inside and retrieve two wicker baskets, handing one to her.

Not wanting to go into the barn after last night, we settle for the short walk in the uncomfortable summer heat. The sky is slightly overcast, but still creates the unwanted sticky humidity. For a while, we walk in silence, not wanting to force conversation. However when we reach the clearing, Mary turns to me with curious eyes.

“Is Emery coming?” I give her a small nod, not wanting to talk about anything right now. Especially, her infatuation with Emery. Instead, I focus on the clearly around us. It’s filled with knee high grass and tons of wildflowers, making it the worst place to encounter bees. “Then I guess we better be quick if he’s going to be here soon.”

By the time we’re heading back neither of us has said anything else. Instead we’re both immersed in our own thoughts. I have no idea what Mary’s thinking about, but I’m trying to settle the butterflies in my stomach from seeing Emery. He’s probably at the house already, waiting for me.

Taking a deep breath, I stare up at the sky, watching the sun peek through an opening in the clouds. Not only is today going to be extremely depressing, it’s also going to be raining too.

“Someone’s waiting for you,” Mary murmurs, pulling me out of my thoughts. “I’ll go put the flowers in the house so you two can have a moment alone.” She reaches for my basket as I move my gaze off the sky, looking straight ahead. Sure enough, Emery is sitting on the front steps of the porch, fidgeting with his hands. He doesn’t look different from the last time I saw him except for the fact he’s wearing the band t-shirt I got him for his birthday and dark jeans.

When he sees me, his face lights up and a smile spread across his lips. He slowly walks towards me, giving Mary a brief nod in greeting as she heads into the house. When we’re only a few feet away, his smile slips, seeing my upset expression.