Chapter Sixteen

“The baby is fine.” As soon as the words leave the nurse’s mouth, my mother sighs a breath of relief, my tense muscles relax and Emery starts to grin. He’s holding my hand tightly as the nurse moves the ultrasound stick over my stomach. The ride to the hospital had been completely silent. My dad told us that Alana and her friends would have to go home which I honestly didn’t mind and that the vet was on his way. Luckily, Mary stayed with Patch and my dad and she said she would text me when they had news. So far, it’s been almost two hours and there still hasn’t been any news.

After the nurse leaves, I smooth over my clothes and Emery helps me off the table I’ve been lying on.

“I’ll go bring the car to the front,” my mom says distractedly, leaving the room. Emery squeezes my hand tightly as we slowly walk out of the room. Too many thoughts consume my head as we silent take the elevator downstairs.

“Are you still mad at me?” Emery asks as the elevator lurches slowly downstairs. He removes his hand from mine and places it around my waist as he pulls me tightly into him. “Because I’m sorry. I know how hard this must be for you to go through this all over again.”

“I’m not mad at you,” I murmur, keeping my eyes staring at the closed doors. “For agreeing with my dad.” I feel Emery’s eyes on me, assessing what I mean by what I said.

“But you are mad at me for another reason?” He questions just as the elevator stops at the ground level.

“Not necessarily at you.” In a way, I’m extremely angry with Emery however I know I really shouldn’t be since what happened to Patch is Alana’s fault and it’s my fault for inviting her.

“I’m sure Alana-“ I cut Emery off by putting my hands up in a stopping motion. We slowly move out of the elevator while I pull out of his grasp and turn to face him.

“Look, I’d rather not talk about what just happened until we get back so can we please just stop talking?” I give Emery a pleading look and he sighs as he shoves his hands into his jean pockets.

“Can’t we just change the subject?” I roll my eyes and shoot Emery a look. “I’m sorry for being distant tonight because of seeing my friends, but now I want to talk to you.” He grabs my hands and gently pulls me towards him, closing the space between us.

“Okay,” I reply, raising my eyebrows. “Why don’t we start with what Alana got you for your birthday and why you had to receive it in my bedroom?” I don’t mean for my tone to be angry however it comes out that way, causing Emery to sigh. I pull back out of his grasp and start slowly walking towards the hospital entrance to see if my mother is waiting for us yet in the car.

“River, wait!” Emery calls, gently jogging behind me to catch up. When he reaches me he grabs my wrist and spins me to face him. His blue eyes search my face for some sign of what I’m thinking. “Whatever you assume happened between Alana and I,” he starts and I immediately pull out of his grasp. “It didn’t.”

I shake my head and gesture around me. “So if I’m thinking nothing happened and she just gave you a silly card, it was the exact opposite?”

Emery’s eyes narrow as he takes a step towards me. Slowly, I take another backwards. “River, we both know that you think for the worst. You’re assuming that something happened and trust me when I say it didn’t.”

I raise my eyebrows and fold my arms across my chest. “Oh really? Then what did she get you for your birthday?” Emery steps in the space between us and I don’t move away as he places his hands on my shoulders.

“I would say that I’ll show you as soon as we get back, however I think we have more important things to look after.” I know he’s referring to Patch and I move my gaze to the ground. Blinking back tears, I wonder why Mary hasn’t called me or texted. Immediately I wonder if things are not looking good or if my dad ordered the vet to put Patch down. My teeth clench and I pull out of Emery’s grasp, tears forming in my eyes.

“Let’s go,” I call over my shoulder, shielding my eyes from Emery’s sight with my hair. I walk briskly towards the front automatic doors of the hospital with Emery half a step behind me.

The ride home is silent. I don’t know whether it’s because each one of us has a lot on our minds or we simply don’t want to talk about anything; the recent events included. At first, I’m extremely curious as to what Emery got from Alana. However as the familiar fields pass by us in the darkness and I check my cell phone for missed messages for the thirtieth time, worry seeps in deep.

Emery was right; I do think for the worst. I constantly wonder if Patch is going to be alive when I get home or if he’s even going to be at the farm at all.

Emery’s arm pulls me closer to him and I snuggle into his chest. I know he’s hoping I’ll fall asleep as it’s growing late, however I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep at all now or even when I actually go to bed. The car ride seems longer than usual as dread starts to set in but eventually the car pulls into the driveway.

The front porch light and the partially open barn doors are the only form of light outside. The farmhouse is completely black inside however as I quickly scramble out of the car, that’s not where I’m planning on going.

As I reach the barn doors, I stand in the sliver of light that’s cast out in the small opening. I keep my eyes downcast as my fingers grip the rough wood. I’m about to push inside when I feel a comforting hand on my shoulder. Looking behind me, Emery gives a subtle nod, telling me to step in.

Holding my breath, I place my feet inside the barn and dare to look up. My dad stands in the aisle, leaning his arms against the stall door. He gives me a small nod as I slowly make my way towards him, counting the steps. It’s completely soundless until I come in view of Patch.

My breath instantly catches in my throat when I see him. He’s alive and I should be happy, though the blood-soaked bandages that cover his sides make me upset. He neighs loudly, but it’s not happy. It’s a sound of pain and fear mixed together.

“He was quiet until you got here,” my dad says quietly, looking from me to Patch. The white and brown horse starts moving side to side, wanting to run like he had earlier tonight.

Again, I hold my breath as I take a step toward him. With my right hand outstretched, I turn my palm up so he can smell me as I approach. However the closer I get, the more scared he seems.

“Patch,” I whisper, my voice upset. “It’s me.” I take a step until I’m almost at the stall when I immediately jump back. Patch cries out as he struggles onto his back legs, rearing as if he’s ready to hurt me.

“River.” My dad puts his arm in front of me and gently pushes me backwards. Emery grabs my hand and starts to pull me out of the barn.

“Wait,” I snap, jerking out of his grasp. I try to walk back towards Patch again when he kicks the back wall of the square stall. “Does he not remember me?” I turn to my dad, tears threatening to leave my eyes. “Is that why he’s acting like this?”

My dad shakes his head and takes a step towards me. His eyes grow series and apologetic as he meets my gaze. “River, I think he’s scared of you.”

I laugh darkly. “This isn’t a time to joke, Dad,” I snap, my hands clenching into fists. “There’s no way that my twin sister’s horse is scared of me!”

My dad looks behind me to Emery and gives him a nod. Instantly, Emery’s right arm is under my knees and his left under my back. In one swift movement he swings me into his arms, cradling me into his chest. As he starts to carry me out of the barn, I start kicking and yelling for Emery to put me down. Obviously, he’s much too strong and my pleas mean nothing.

By the time we’re walking up the front steps of the porch, I realize what my dad is saying is one-hundred percent true. For every traumatic event Patch has been through, I’ve always been the on there with him.

“My dead sister’s horse hates me,” I whisper quietly to myself as we head inside the house. “And he’s all of her I have left.”