Chapter Five

“Oh my god!” The girl squeals, dropping a box at her feet and runs towards us from the house on our left. Chin length brown hair with blonde on top flies around her face as she sprints towards Emery with open arms. She tackles him, jumping into his arms. Emery catches her as he stumbles a few feet back, overcome but the greeting.

I feel extremely out of place as my boyfriend awkwardly stands there as some random girl hugs him, laughing in joy. Finally, she stands back on her own feet and takes a step back while I look her over. She’s tall and thin, at least almost Emery’s height. Her outfit is plain and simple; a grey t-shirt and skinny jeans matched with old running shoes. For a moment, Emery stares at her in confusion just like I am until he remembers who she is.

“Alana?” He asks, his voice questioning as he looks her over.

“You don’t remember me?” She asks, a playful smile on her lips as she smacks his shoulder. “We lived next door to each other for fifteen years and you’ve already forgotten your best friend?”

A strange expression of happiness passes over Emery’s face as he grins ear to ear. As if I’m not feeling awkward enough, he runs towards her and tackles her to the ground. A moment later, their laughing and rolling around on the grass as they fight each other.

“Of course I remember you,” smirks Emery, grabbing Alana’s wrist as she reaches towards him. “Why wouldn’t I remember the girl who always tried to beat me up and failed?”

My hands fidget in front of my stomach as I debate what to do. I could go back in the house; however that might not be appropriate considering what just happened. Going to the truck is out of the question too, seeing as Emery has the keys. Instead, I bite my lip and decide that sitting down on the front steps is a safe bet. I’m just heading towards it when I hear footsteps coming towards me.

“River!” Grins Emery, when I spin around to face him. Alana walks up beside him as he stops in front of me. She’s close; too close. “There’s someone I want you to meet.”

Alana nods towards me and gives a small smile. “I’m Alana, but I’m sure Emery’s told you all about me.” Surprisingly, she doesn’t look smug as her words cut deep. Instead, she looks extremely happy and I realize she’s not trying to be mean.

“Actually,” I say as my eyes meet hers. “He hasn’t mentioned you at all.” Even though I’m not trying to be rude, the words come out that way. However I am being honest. Emery hasn’t really mentioned anyone except for his family and that guy he rode bikes with down the street.

“You didn’t tell her about me?” Alana says, pressing her hand to her chest and pretending to act offended. “Gee, Em, I thought we were best friends.”

Emery rolls his eyes and stretches his arms. “Oh god, don’t bring up that awful nickname again.”

“But you love it,” grins Alana, smacking his arm. I start to feel like a third wheel that there’s no room for. After all, I’m Emery’s girlfriend, not her. Jealously starts to make its way into my head until I quickly shove it way. I’ve never been the jealous type before and besides, from what I understand they’ve been neighbours and best friends for most of Emery’s life. “So where are you living now? I haven’t seen you since you left…” She slowly trails off as she presses her lips into a thing line.

“Actually, I’m living with River.” Emery shoves his hands in his pockets and nods his head. He’s turned towards Alana and she’s facing him as well. Again, I feel like a third wheel as I’m not even standing with them.

“What?” Laughs Alana, turning to face me and then back to Emery. “Are you having a baby or something?” Emery stares at the ground and my eyes quickly follow. Alana slowly looks between us, realizing her joke is actually a reality. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry! I had no idea and-“