Chapter Eleven

Picture on the side is what Rapheal (Raffie) looks like

“Oh my gosh, I’m freaking out,” Mary whines, running around the house with me at her side. My dad took Emery out for the early afternoon so we could decorate and surprise him. We’re running behind and the living room and the kitchen are both only half decorated when the guests are supposed to be here soon.

“You’re fine,” Danny laughs, rolling his eyes as he hands her a roll of tape. Mary wobbles on the couch as she tries to tape a blue streamer to the ceiling. In the kitchen, I can hear Mary’s parents talking to my mom. The only people we’re waiting on and nervous for, are Alana and Emery’s old friends.

“Do you want me to help?” I sigh, knowing Mary has been trying to do everything.

“No, you just blow up balloons,” Mary instructs, gesturing to an unopened package on the coffee table. Instead, I grab a streamer and step up onto the couch. “What do you think you’re doing?” Mary whips around to face me and puts her hands on her hips.

“Helping decorate for my boyfriend’s surprise party?” Mary’s eyes narrow and she gives me a look.

“Get off the couch, River! You’re pregnant! If you fall you’ll-“ She stops talking as I slowly step off the couch, holding my hands out in front of me in defense. “Now blow up some balloons.”

I roll my eyes, knowing that’s the only job Mary’s going to let me do. I glare at her the whole time as I blow up a green balloon. Then, when it’s full and tied, I throw it in the air and slap it at Mary. In return, she shoots me a dirty look and I start to blow up more balloons.

Twenty minutes later, the house is perfectly decorated and we’re waiting for Alana to arrive. I sit in the living room on the couch while Mary chases Daniel around.

“Just stand still!” She intrusts, stopping on one side of the couch while Daniel is across from her.

“I don’t want to wear a party hat, Mary,” he laughs, making sure he’s out of her reach.

“Okay, okay,” Mary says, folding her arms across her chest. She turns away from Daniel, acting like a child however I know what she’s doing. Daniel rolls his eyes as he slowly walks over and stands, his head hanging low in front of her.

“Fine,” he sighs and instantly a grin spreads across Mary’s face. She grins as she places a party hat with balloons and cakes on it on Daniel’s head. “Ow,” he mutters as Mary snaps the rubber band on his chin.

“Awe!” Mary squeals, turning to me. “Doesn’t he just look adorable?” I bite my tongue so I don’t have to respond. Daniel reminds me of a small dog that’s owner as unwillingly dressed up. Mary looks at me, eyes gleaming as she waits for an answer. Luckily, I don’t have to as the sound of tires on gravel makes its way through the open windows. “They’re here!”

The three of us rush to the window, trying to be discrete as we survey the group of kids in Alana’s beat up, blue car. Alana’s driving, looking almost exactly the same except she’s changed her clothes and is sporting Aviator sunglasses. Beside her in the passenger seat sits a thin but muscular boy, with shaggy brown hair and fair skin. He looks pretty normal until he climbs out of the car and I see the sleeves of tattoos covering his arms. As he walks closer to the house, he stops and turns around with Alana at his side, waiting for the remaining passengers.

The back door is literally kicked open next and a fairly tall guy with a white mohawk and natural brown, shaved hair emerges. He’s dressed in a plain black t-shirt and a few spiky objects cover his wrist. Immediately he pulls out a cigarette and starts smoking and I begin to wonder if he’s the one who gave Emery the habit.