Chapter Twenty-Five

“How did it go?”

“Fine,” I mumble, climbing into Danny’s car. “Is it okay if we don’t head back just yet? There’s somewhere else I want to go real quick.”

Daniel shrugs and after I give him directions, we start towards our new destination. Dark clouds loom in the sky, threatening to rain but not actually allowing it to just yet. My head tells me to turn back and just go home, however my heart says I just need to do this.

When we finally get there, I look at Emery’s old, boarded up house. Without him, it looks spooky, as if it’s haunted by ghosts rather than memories. Sucking in a deep breath while I hold back tears, I realize that maybe this isn’t the best idea after all. Especially, right after I just broke up with Emery.

“Sorry,” I murmur, staring at my lap. “We might as well just go.”

“Why don’t we stare here a while?” Daniel smirks, his eyes looking me over in a way that makes me self-conscious. “I mean, you’re single now and we don’t have anywhere to go.” He reaches over and gently rests his hand on my thigh.

“I’d rather we just get going.” I life his hand off my leg and basically throw it at him.

“River, don’t tell me I drove all this way for nothing.” His words make me feel bad, but I know he’s only saying them for this affect.

“I’ll give you money for gas when I get home,” I suggest, scooting farther away from Daniel on my seat.

“But I don’t want money,” he murmurs, cutting the engine. He turns to me and reaches for my face. Swatting his hand away, I shoot him a look.

“Daniel, stop.”

He glares at me as he tries to reach for me again, only causing me to push farther away. By the time he’s basically leaning over the center console to try and reach me, I have my hand on the door handle.

“Leave me alone!” I snap, throwing myself out of the car. Daniel looks up at me through narrowed eyes, and in them I see more than just anger.

“Fine,” he shouts, leaning and grabbing the passenger door. “Then find your own damn ride home.” He slams the door shut and starts the engine as I stand there, speechless. Knowing I don’t want to ride with him, I fold my arms across my chest and watch him turn around. He doesn’t even give me a second glance as he speeds away, honking as he passes me.

Overhead, thunder rumbles and I start to shake. Before I can even come up with what to do, it starts raining. I quickly pull up the hood of my dark sweater and jog towards Emery’s house, hoping that the overhang will keep me at least semi-dry.

When I reach there, it’s actually worse than standing out in the open rain. All the drops slide off the roof and hit my hood in one, giant splash, soaking me right through my clothes. With chattering teeth, I head towards the front door. I grab the handle and hope it will open so at least I’ll have somewhere to stay dry while I figure out what to do.

It squeaks as it opens, the stuffy air hitting me like a brick wall. With a few coughs, I step inside the house and shut the door. Now that I think of it, I don’t remember Emery locking it last time we were here. He must have forgot.

The only place to sit would be in his mother’s rocking chair, but I know well enough that it isn’t an option. Feeling the spooky memories that linger around me, I don’t want to venture any deeper into the silent house. Quietly, as if I could disturb someone, I slide my back down the wall and hug my knees tightly.

I only have a handful of opens that other than getting me home, don’t have much of an upside. The first person I think of is Emery. When his name crosses my mind, I clench my teeth. Calling him would mean explaining first why I came out here, then why I’m at his house. On top of confessing the truth or conjuring up a lie, I would have to sit in a long car ride with him while he pleads his case.