Chapter Thirty-Four

“It’s crazy how much things can change so quickly, Rimery.” Mary folds her arms behind her head as we sit on a hill that overlooks one of the fields. Silver, Dusk and Midnight graze a few feet away, their manes blowing in the gentle breeze.

“Please stop referring to us as the same person,” I groan, rolling my eyes at the clouds. Emery laughs lightly on my left side while Mary shoots me a look on my right.

“But it’s easier that way,” Mary shrugs, twirling a curl around her finger. “Anyways, I just can’t believe where we are right now. If you were to tell me a year ago, that you would have a boyfriend who showed up in your barn and would have a baby, I would have sent you to the crazy hospital.”

“I would have checked myself in if I thought that,” I mutter, wondering how Haven’s doing with my mom. I never understood why my own mother was always so protective of me, but now that I have my own daughter, I can see why; she’s constantly on my mind, twenty-four-seven.

“Do you think you’ll have another baby?”

I jerk upright, my mouth hanging open. I stare at Mary in shock before smacking her playfully across the top of her head. “Are you sure that you don’t need to go to the crazy hospital right now?”

Mary rolls her eyes and pushes me back down until I’m back on the ground, lying there as I stare up at the clouds.

“I’m just curious. I don’t mean soon,” she mutters, smacking my arm. “I mean in the future.”

“I want another one,” Emery speaks up, and I tilt my head to glare at him.

“Says the guy who didn’t have to go through the pains of child birth. I’d like to see you birth a child out of your-“

Hey!” Someone screams, and the three of us turn around. At the bottom of the hill behind us stands Raffie, waving his arms like a maniac.

“I guess they got here early,” Emery mumbles, jumping to his feet. Mary stands up beside me as Emery grabs my hands, pulling me up. We lead the horses and start walking down the hill towards Raffie who’s grinning.

“Is this finally the day where I get my pregnant gangster clothes back?”

“Oh, shut up,” I laugh, smacking his arm lightly. “But yes, you’ll get them back.”

“We better hurry before the crazy-ness starts,” Mary mutters, scanning the farm for signs of my family. Emery had invited his friend’s, my parents invited our family, and on top of it all, Mary invited her parents for the day. I don’t think the farmhouse can hold this many people, but I guess we’ll have to wait and find out.

“So what is the point of this exactly?” Raffie asks as we approach Derrick and Pyro. A grin plays on my lips when I realize that Alana’s not here, and probably never will be ever again.

“So everyone can meet the baby,” Mary explains, grinning. “I wish I had a baby.” She sighs and I smack the back of her head. “Ouch, what was that for?” She complains, and I roll my eyes.

“Did you just hear the words that came out of your mouth?” We continue arguing until we reach the porch of the farmhouse, where my parents are standing talking to Emery’s friends who sit on the steps.

“My sister’s should be here any minute,” my mother tells me, cradling a cup of coffee in her hands. “I just put Haven down for a nap a little while ago. Why don’t you go get her?”

Shrugging, I start up the steps; giving Emery’s friend’s a small wave as he starts to talk to them. Mary follows me inside and we head up towards my room where my mom had put a small crib in in case Haven was ever to sleep here.