Chapter 20

Break was finally over and I was running late to school. I barrowed Ana's car to go back to my house after she drove to school with me in the car. She didn't understand but let me do it anyways. I ran up to my penthouse and jumped into the shower. I came out and put my normal clothes on. I had black leggings and a big gray knit sweater. I put my purple crystal necklace on and french braided my hair the best I could. I put my boots on and came out to the living room. I looked around and saw some of Jake's stuff here that wasn't the last time I was here. I shook my head. I put my coat on and grabbed Ana's keys out of my pocket. I ran back downstairs and got back into the car. I drove to school and ran into the office for a late pass. I came out and looked around the hallway. Everyone was in their classes other then a few deliquents who skipped a lot. I went to my locker and put my coat inside and grabbed my second period book.

I walked into my class and saw Ana. I gave the teacher my late pass and sat down by her.

"You went home to freshen up?" She asked.

"I went home because I knew I wouldn't see him if I did that and I didn't want to see him in the hallway when we came in so being late is better then nothing if you ask me" I answered.

"True" She replied. I put her keys on her desk and she put them in her bag. I looked across the room and saw Katherine on her phone.

"Do you have my phone?" I asked. She took it out of her bag and handed it to me. I didn't turn it on. I just put it in my boot and grabbed her notebook to copy the notes she took for both first and second period.

I walked into the lunch room and got some food. I sat down at a table and everyone kind of just sat down with me.

"Have you seen him?" Hope asked.

"Nope. I usually don't see him because he's a senior and I'm a sophmore" I answered.

"He was looking for you earlier" Evan replied taking a bite out of his burger.

"Kind of figured he would be" I responded. I ate a strawberry and then took a drink of the juice I got.

"Why did you only get fruit?" Ana asked me.

"Because you live in the land of junk food and fast food. There is no fruit in your house. I went two weeks without it" I answered taking another bite. Everyone laughed.

"Hey my girl has a stomach like a dude" Dakota said shrugging.

"Rude" Ana replied. I laughed at that. I finished eating my fruit and got up to throw the container away. I threw it away and took my tray to the window lady who cleaned them. I turned and bumped into someone. Not just anyone but Jake.

"Where the hell have you been?" He asked.

"Around" I answered.

"You didn't come home for two weeks. I didn't hear from you and I didn't know where you were. I must have sent a thousand texts" He replied.

"My phone is turned off" I responded.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I didn't want to talk to you" I answered.

"What's going on?" He replied.

"I saw you" I responded.

"Saw me doing what?" He asked.

"You came out of the library with Katherine" I answered.

"Clary listen to me okay? She grabbed me and wouldn't leave me alone. I know that's not the best excuse but it's what happened. I didn't want it to happen. Not with her. I want you and only you. I love you not her" He replied.

"You cheated on me with Katherine" I responded.

"I'm sorry" He said.

"Sorry doesn't cut it anymore with you" I replied.

"I didn't have sex with her" He responded.

"Then what did you do because we all know what happens in the library" I said.

"I didn't touch her. She touched me" He replied.

"I don't want to hear anymore" I responded feeling the tear coming. I walked down the hallway and he followed me. He grabbed my arm and I stopped. I turned and looked at him.

"Was this your plan with Katherine? Date me. Make me feel special and wanted? Then hurt me?" I demanded.

"What no" He said.

"I don't want anymore lies" I replied.

"I'm not lying. I only want you" He responded.

"Then why didn't you push her away that day" I said.

"I wasn't thinking. I made a choice. I know it was wrong. I hurt you and I'm sorry" He replied. I shook my head trying to keep the tears away but they started coming out. He stepped closer to me and wiped them away. He kissed my forehead and I closed my eyes.

"Please forgive me. It won't happen again I promise" He said. I started full on crying and he pulled me into his arms. He rubbed my back trying to calm me down.

"I'm sorry" He kept saying over and over again to me.