Chapter 4

Luna's POV:
Mum and dad came back after 4 days. "Ready to start your training?" Dad asked. I held onto my arm and looked at the floor and didn't give an answer. "Aw come on don't tell me your having doubts already you have been wanting to do this ever since you were little," he smiled at me. I smiled back.
"No, I'm not having doubts just a little nervous," I lied, I was scared because I knew more Adapts powers without even being trained.
"Alright then let's go to the arena to start," he said and I followed, slowly.

Along the way I kept looking at the fence as if I was searching for something but I didn't know what. "Got something on your mind?" Dad asked me noticing my lack of concentration.
"Hhm?" I asked hearing him clearly but not wanting to seem suspicious.
"Have you got something on your mind?" He asked again.
"Umm not much just things?" He looked to the fence.
"Such as out there. Luna you won't be even going out there until you are 20 and because of your heritage maybe even until 22 which the elders will be 100% positive that you are on our side and won't be converted easily."
"Too late for that," I thought. Dad continued walking. We past the house that Josh said was Jack's. I kept looking at it hearing the screams, the laugh that sounded evil seeing the darkness within Jack and Mark.
"Is he on your mind?" Dad asked. I looked at him without answering. "I heard when we left he was at the barrier. Don't let him take your mind Luna you two are much alike and I know you used to be friends."
"It was a little more than just friends," I thought.
"Come on maybe some training will get your mind off it." We kept going.

He opened the door and 2 other kids were in there. Josh was training one of them. He waved at me. "Nice hair," he said as I passed him. I smiled.
"No Luna he is much older than you," dad said quietly to me and a little sternly.
"What no. I don't like him. It's just nice to get a compliment." Dad raised his eyebrows and I rolled my eyes. He nudged me and laughed.
"Come on let's start."

He started by working on air which I had already started to learn a little it was also the easiest. I started by lifting a small paper clip it was easy, then a light book, then a small rock that was heavier than the book.
"Ok now I want you to lift the 10 kilo (22 pounds) ball. I concentrated imagining the air space between the fall and the ball. It lifted slightly then I pushed it away. Dad clapped. "Good job kiddo. Now try and push me." I looked at him and lifted my hand he was pushed back into the padded wall. "Good job." He pointed to up to a marker half way up the wall with the writing 5 meters (16 feet) Beside it. The next two up were 8 meters (26 feet) and 12 meters (39 feet). I wanted to aim high and try for the 8 meter one. I went to jump but then I remembered when I jumped the fence I had the Adapts jump I would reach just below the 5 meters anyway without the air jump. "A little hesitant," dad smiled at me. "Not everyone reaches it on the first time don't worry," he said. His soft smile seemed so terrible. Stop smiling at me so sweetly. "Go on," he encouraged me. My heart beat in my chest I didn't want to do it he would know that I wouldn't use the air to get up there he would know the others would see I would be thrown out. Dad must have noticed my face looked more scared than nervous as he walked up to me and whispered. "It's the Adapt thing isn't it," he said quietly in my ear. I nodded. "Just go ahead try and use the air not the added jump ok," he said whispering then went back to where he was standing. I took a breath than ran for the wall pushing my hand to the ground making the air give me a boost as well as jumping. I reached my hand up passing the 5 meter and hitting in the middle of the 12 and 8 meter marker. I heard clapping all around me but I felt bad because I did use the extra jump. My dad glared at me and I shook my head smiling. "I didn't use it. I don't think I even have it. It was just in my head," I lied.
"Excellent job then," he slapped me on the shoulder. "That would be a record for the first jump I'd say." His smile seemed so horrid after my lie. I promised to always be honest with my parents but now it seemed like I couldn't stop lying to them. He looked at his watch. "Well would you look at that time flys, come on let's get back home." I smiled weakly and followed his home.

Jack's POV:
I watched Luna as she walked along with her father, she seemed different now than a few days ago. She was changing. "Don't be scared Luna just let it happen," I said. She turned her head seeing me I smiled at her and waved. Her father suddenly grabbed her arm pulling her away, not before I saw her smile, it wasn't a little sweet smile. "I'll see you soon Luna." Fire balls came down beside me and I vanished into the dark smoke coming back to the house Mark and I stayed in.

"You are going to get yourself killed one day," Mark greeted me.
"It's working though," I said. A smile played across his lips.
"Jasper will be most pleased."