Chapter 7 (unedited)

Sorry guys life has been getting in the way of editing. So decided to upload and edit later. Hope you like it anyway.

ASIA’S P.O.V.

Secret by SWV woke me the next morning. Right out of my erotic dream. Staring you know who. I swear if he is any were near as good as he was in that dream. I will be his slave for eternity. Ugh, no more Fifty Shades. 

I reached for the phone without opening my eyes. I already know it’s Marshall. Its his personal ring tone. I also have him programmed in as Marsha. I know, I know. So original. You just don’t understand. My family can get nosy quick. They’re like sharks. When they smell blood they go in for the kill. They would stop at nothing to find out a secret.

So far I have been able to keep everything under wraps. Just telling everyone that it’s a work thing with the magazine. They just needed to know that I can handle pressure. That’s the reason for all the secret calls and messages. So far it has been working. I still hadn’t heard back from Georgia about the Editor position so it is a feasible conclusion.

Opening my eyes I see the new message from Marsha. ‘Come to me? I’ll send a plane to get you.’ I just don’t know if I could do that. I mean after that kiss last night. I was trying so hard to be a “good girl”. After that dream I know I cant do it. ‘I cant I have to be here for my sister.’ I sent the message back before I could stop myself. He has no idea how bad I want to go to him. I need to be here for Myk until she leaves. ‘Rain check?’ I had to smile at that. Have to love a man that can compromise. ‘Of course!’

For the next two and a half weeks we planned what essentially was a family reunion. We invited family from South Texas, Florida, Louisiana and all over California to attend. Myk made sure that who ever wanted to attend had away. This left little time to converse with Marshall. He understood though. Such a great guy.

The day before the party she invited her closes family members, even a few friends that included my editor Georgia to dinner. Not sure why she is hear though. Didn’t know that she knew Myk. We went to the Salt Gras. He favorite place in the world. She just loves the grilled chicken covered in cheese and Portobello mushrooms.

We all had drinks in hand just as everyone’s food was being finished off. Myk took this moment to make a toast. “To good friends and even better family. Thanks to everyone who helped me past this obstacle in life.” Everyone took a drink from their cups. 

Then she continued. “You all know how important community is to me. No one knows this but I have just opened my very own Recreation Center for kids. Also, I have bought a  space near downtown for a restaurant. I have a team of people working on it already. It will be ready to go by the time I leave. Mom I really hope you will take my place at the grand opening.” Mom reached out and took her hand and released it just as quick.

Myk reached over and pulled out a manila envelope from her bag. “I have a little something in this envelope for everyone at this table.” She then proceeded to pull out white envelopes and hand them to everyone. I was the last one to get an envelope. I got up from my seat and hugged her so tight. “Pooh Bear, you know you don’t have to get me a thing but thank you! I‘m gonna miss you so freakin much.”

As we pulled away I could see my editor in my peripheral. I turned to look over to see that she is on the phone. Myk saw my attention and stepped over to her. Georgia stood up as she hung up the phone. They embraced shortly. “GG, I know that we haven’t been close in the last few years but I still want you to take the money. Think of it as an investment. We can be partners.” Now I’m confused! “Um, how do you two know each other.” Myk just smiled. “We were best friends during college. When I decided to marry Richard she pulled away.” 

You could see the anger flicker in GG’s eyes. “Well I always knew what kind of slim bag he was. Well I thought I knew any way. I just couldn’t watch you waste your life like that. Even after I warned you about him you stayed with him.” Myk nodded her head in understanding. GG took a calming breath. “So Anaheim? Do you know where you will be staying?” Myk shook her head. “I’ll just find a hotel somewhere when I get there.” “I know a guy. He owns the Villas at Pelican Hill. I’ll make a phone call.” 

“Oh and thank you for the money. I have a place already lined up and workers. Which reminds me.” GG focused her attention on me. “Congrats Ms. Editor.” My eyebrows went up in shock. Then the shock wore off. I began to jump up and down on the spot. “I got the job!” The entire room erupted into ‘Congrats’. Once we calmed down GG continued. “I will email you the details tonight.” I nodded quickly and ran over to mom bringing her into a tight embrace. 

The next thirty minutes everyone slowly left the premises. Leaving Mom, Myk and me last. I can feel my phone buzzing in my pocket bringing a smile to my face. I cant wait to share this with Marshall.

I went straight to Everyday Wear after a quick stop at the bank. I’m not telling a soul how much money I have in the bank now. Lets just say if I wanted to retire I could. Get a broker and invest wisely. Can you say early retirement!

I walked into the unusually empty store. As a matter of fact the lights have been turned off.  “Susie?!” There was no answer. I walked toward the back room, where the only light was coming from. A sob got caught in my throat. Susie was laying there on the floor covered in blood. I stepped back immediately. “Oh my god, Susie.” I had my phone whipped out of my pocket in an instant. I hit speed dial 9. The phone didn’t have a chance to ring before someone answered. “911, what’s your emergency.” “I need a ambulance to Everyday Wear at 22314 North West High Way!!! There’s so much blood. You have to help her!” “I have emergency vehicles in route. Ma’am I need you to stay calm.” My back finally hit the wall and I slid down. “Ma’am are you there?” There’s a pause for my reaction. “Do you know what happened? Hello?” 

I can hear the operator trying to get my attention but my mind wouldn’t let me say a thing. Who would do such a thing to her? She never did anything to anyone. All she wanted was to run her business in peace. I cant believe that this happen. What’s going to happen to her business? What about her family? Does she even have any family? She never talked about them, like ever.

A flash of light brings me out of my mind. I look around to see that I’m on the back of an ambulance. “Asia, are you with me.” I looked up toward the sound of the voice. “Lenny?” He sighed in relief. “Thank God. You checked out on us. Are you okay? Did you get hurt?” I just shook my head. I tried to remember how I got outside. I looked down and saw the blood on my hands and knees. I have no recollection of it at all. “Lenny, what happened?” I looked at him expectantly.

“Asia, you came to work and found your boss in her office. She had been robbed. Someone came in and took all the cash in the office and register. You called it in. That’s how I knew where you were. I was at the hospital when this ambulance got the call.” He paused for a moment. Most likely assessing my reaction. Finding nothing to alarm him he continued. “The officer said that when he arrived you were on your knees next to the body. Holding her hand in between both of yours. Just rocking back and forth. Saying not again, not again.” 

I closed my eyes at the end of the statement. The tears would not be denied their departure. They fell quickly down my face. Without opening them I asked. “Is she…I mean…..” “She’s alive if that’s what your asking. Very critical but alive.” “Can I go home, please?” “Not until I get you to the hospital and checked over thoroughly.” I shook my head quickly. “I promise I’m not hurt. Just shocked. I need a shower and my sister. Please let me go home.” I opened my eyes to see Lenny nodding his head.

By the time we reached home Mom, Myk and Marnie were waiting for us. They all wrapped me in a group hug. After my shower we camped out in living room watching A Different world eating ice cream. 

MYKAELA’S P.O.V.

Looking over at my big sister I can tell that the world just got a lot darker for her. May be I should stay. I feel so selfish for leaving after what she just went through. As if she could read my mind she spoke without even glancing at me. “Don’t think for one second this means you can put off your plans.” I put my hands up in surrender. When Asia spoke you listened if you don’t want to.